Wash Officer at the International Medical Corps (IMC)
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
- The WASH Officer will be responsible for implementing software and hardware of the WASH activities in Maiduguri, Borno State.
- She/he will closely work with partners, IDPs and all stakeholders to ensure efficient delivery of safe WASH services in the assigned area.
- Coordinate the hygiene promotion and sanitation aspect of the wash team in Maiduguri
- Planning of community based activities with respect to water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Ensure regular coordination with the state water office regarding water quality testing and analysis for the host and displaced communities in Maiduguri.
- Carry out regular assessments and draft concept notes on the needs.
- Ensure that water quality test results are in line with the standards and always shared with the state authorities and other wash implementing partners.
- Participate in conducting continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution.
- Effective use of designed templates and system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor.
- May be delegated to participate in the state wash sector working group meetings and provide feedbacks to his/her supervisor.
- May be delegated to represent the organization amongst the UN and NGO community and with the government.
- Contribute to the positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct.
- Developing participatory community led approach for the management of WASH facilities.
- Plan, organise and facilitate trainings for the hygiene promoters together with the WASH Assistants.
- Support the WASH team in strategic planning and budgeting for the activities being implemented.
- Support in hiring and training of the team to build up their capacity
- Identification of WASH staff training needs and provision of practical on job trainings tailored to the identified needs
- Ensure submission of weekly, monthly and quarterly progress reports to project management team in a timely manner
Qualifications and Experience
- B.Engr. in Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology & Engineering or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least Two (2) years working experience in an INGO or Community development experience.
- Technical design skills using AutoCAD or Arch CAD, and WaterCAD or any other hydraulic modeling software
- Experience in the supervision of constructions
- Experience in Water quality monitoring, Hygiene promotion and Sanitation preferably with an NGO
- Strong technical back ground in assessing the water supply systems, development (Hand pump and solar installations)
- Ability to assess and identify the defects in the water systems.
- Technical knowledge on water quality control and management
- Experience in dealing with local contractors
- Strong Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel and power point)
- Excellent report writing, communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in hardship areas.
- Willingness to travel outside work stations
- Strong communication Skills
- Ability to speak English, Hausa and Kanuri is an added advantage
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications which should be addressed to “the Human Resource Manager, International Medical Corps” via: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document.