Vacant Job For Public Health Specialist at The U.S Embassy
The U.S. Mission in Abuja, is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Deputy Director for Programs)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2018-048
Work Hours: Full-Time; 40 hours/week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The incumbent serves as the senior technical advisor to the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Nigeria Office.
- The job holder shares oversight responsibilities for the development and implementation of public health-related technical program activities and has direct responsibility for day-to-day coordination of office/branch administrative management activities that implement or support the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the Global Health Initiative (GHI) and other USG funded public health activities.
- S/he has the primary responsibility for liaising with the Nigerian government, other donors, implementing partners and other stakeholder to foster a collaborative environment and ensure that CDC-funded projects align with national priorities that are in accordance with agency regulations, CDC, GHI, and PEPFAR Strategic objectives, international ethical guidelines and standards for public health care.
- Other duties include program planning and development, grants administration and oversight of contracts and cooperative agreements.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Medical Degree is required. In addition, PhD or equivalent in Public Health orHealth Policy is required.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible senior public health experience in public health service delivery projects within an HIV/AIDS field, while working closely with the Ministry of Health or other stakeholders in the public health field is required. Additional two (2) years managerial responsibilities with multiple staffing reporting is required.
- Must possess comprehensive knowledge of the programs, policies, regulations, protocols and ethical considerations applicable to the development and administration of national or international HIV/AIDS and other disease public health programs.
- S/he must have an excellent understanding of the public health system in Nigeria and a good working knowledge of the U.S. Government public health programs and strategies, especially those related to PEPFAR. Working knowledge of administrative, budgeting and fiscal management systems in the support of funding mechanisms such as contracts, cooperative agreements, grants, and purchase requisitions.
- Level IV (fluency) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff in a team setting to accomplish program goals.
- A high level of oral and written communication skills is required in order to convey program progress, technical requirement and to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS Programs to adopt appropriate strategies for their program activities.
- Good working knowledge of higher level mathematical calculations, computer programs and software, with good keyboarding skills that include speed and accuracy.
- Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass security certifications.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
- When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letter head of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
NGN 12,970,797 / USD 69,022.
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174) , or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Application letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluation for the position
- Degree without transcript (if applicable)
- Certificates and License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
- E – mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
Note: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.