Vacant Job For Independent Consultants at Christian Aid
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Independent Consultant – Selective Trainings on Disaster Risk Reduction and Management for Relevant Stakeholders in Benue, Kaduna and Plateau States
Locations: Benue, Kaduna and Plateau
Type of Contract: Short-term
Programme/Team: ECHO HIP, Governance team
Background and Purpose of Consultancy
- Christian Aid Nigeria is implementing an intervention aiming to contribute to improving emergency preparedness, timeliness and quality of risk information and response actions for multiple natural hazards by ward, government (local to federal) and NGOs in a coordinated manner. The action will focus on 27 rural locations across 9 LGAs of 3 States of Benue, Kaduna and Plateau
- It will be centred on Improving Early Warning and Early Response. Needs assessments, focussed on natural hazards, reveal critical gaps in National Disaster response which is not fully informed by comprehensive integrated context specific Early Warning Systems (EWS) particularly for flooding hazards.
- Therefore, the purpose of this consultancy is to design relevant modules and carry out specialised trainings on disaster risk reduction and management for selected and categorised participants in Benue, Kaduna and Plateau States with a view to enhance capacity for management, mitigation, preparedness, coordination and sustainability of best practices for flooding related disasters across the States
- The participants for the trainings will include state and non-state actors from the federal, state, local government and community levels.
- The objective of this exercise is to design specialised modules and conduct trainings to build, enhance and refresh capacity of relevant stakeholders and communities in emergency preparedness, mitigation and management of flooding related disaster across the Benue, Kaduna and Plateau states of Nigeria
Specific objectives include; In line with the annexed calendar, consultants shall:
- Develop appropriate training modules to meet the capacity gaps and training needs specified.
- Conduct specified trainings/exercise for the agreed participants on disaster risk reduction and management across federal, state, LGA and communities identified and as specified.
- To document and submit reports of each trainings/exercise conducted.
The trainings/exercises will focus on the support provided by CA to the implementation of the project, and to priority project intervention areas. It will also provide platform for assessing performances and functionality of established structures at the Federal State and Project Intervention Communities (PIC) in Benue, Kaduna and Plateau States. It will focus on the following components:
- Conflict sensitivity, vulnerability, gender mainstreaming, organizational development and adaptive leadership
- Capacity for documentation and reporting
- Building capacity for management and mitigation of flooding related disaster management
- Enhanced capacity for response to disaster management through policy framework and influencing
- Strengthening capacity for Coordination among state and non-state actors
- Support capacity for master-training and mentorship
Key Responsibilities (Tasks)
- To develop relevant training modules
- To develop training agenda
- To conduct specific and specialised trainings.
- To document and submit reports of trainings
- Submit training modules, agenda and reports to CA
- Reports outlining the training needs, training modules, training agenda and training reports.
- The consultant is responsible to ensure data validity, consistency and accuracy and to submit reports written in good Standard English. If these standards are not met, the consultant will, at his/her own expense, make the necessary amendments to bring the reports to the required standards.
Lines of Reporting/Position in team:
- Consultant(s) will work closely and report to Project Lead, Senior Programme Coordinator, Disaster Management and Peace Building and the MEAL Coordinator.
Consultant Competencies and Required Skills
- The Consultant(s) must be available to prepare, conduct and report on the trainings.
Christian Aid is seeking individuals with:
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience and exposure of flooding related disaster risk reduction and management in Nigeria with specific focus on the Nigeria’s Middlebelt states-Benue, Plateau, Kaduna.
- Excellent spoken and written English (knowledge about the target state language is an advantage)
- Understanding and experience in training and mentoring.
Budget and Terms of Engagement
- Christian Aid will cover for the necessary accommodation and transportation costs incurred by the consultant according to our in-country rates where necessary
- All other costs incurred will be covered from the consultancy fee.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates (organisations or individuals) should forward their Applications. Tenders should include the following:
- A Cover Letter introducing the consultant/organisation and how the skills and competencies described above are met, with concrete examples.
- A 2-page outline of the previous work/modules developed.
- An overview of consultant’s academic qualifications/CVs and relevant experience to be included.
- An example of a previous report and 2 references from organizations where similar trainings was conducted.
- Proposed budget and timeline.
Applicants can opt to apply for only selected training out of all training needs listed below and make application specific to those training – with the budget, evidence of expertise in similar works. Interested consultants/organizations should submit their Applications, stating nature of training as subject of the mail to: email@example.com
ToT/ Training on DRR and EWS. Target Participants: CAID Staff, NEMA, SEMA and selected relevant stakeholders at State and community levels Objectives: The trainings aimed at building and enhanced capacity disaster risk reduction and management with focus on flooding; thereby strengthening capacity of state and community actors on disaster preparedness, mitigation and management.
- Strengthened coordination among established state and communities’ structures towards effective response to flooding disasters Core module: Management Preparedness Mitigation Early Warning Systems Coordination Expected outcomes: – Capacity enhanced on DRR management
- Coordination among state and non-state actors on DRR strengthened. Duration: 10 days engagement – 3 days for development of modules and agenda; 5 days training; 3 days for report writing and submission Location: TBD
Training on data management related to EWS Target participants: NIMET, NHSA, NEMA, SEMA and selected relevant stakeholders at State and community levels. Objectives: – Community members trained on gauge reading for EWS, threshold, trigger and communication
- Enhanced community participation in related EWS data gathering
- Support inclusive and decentralised EWS information dissemination
- Improved coordination and response among state and non-state actors on flooding disasters Core Modules: – Inclusive data gathering tools, analysis and information management
- Decentralised communication strategies and feedback mechanism. Expected Outcomes: – Capacity enhanced on inclusive and user-friendly data gathering techniques.
- Knowledge of EWS (adaptation and usage) tools improved in communities
- Improved decentralised information dissemination systems enhanced
- Enhanced communication and feedback built between state and non-state actors Duration: 15 days engagement Three days for preparatory exercise; 9 days for training; 3 days for report writing and submission. Location: TBD
- Contingency planning Training/development Target participants: Selected state and non-state actors including appointed government officials Objectives: – Awareness created on raising and development of Contingency Planning
- Facilitate coordination meetings to enhance the CPs process
- Improved knowledge on contingency plans around flood-focused DRR Core Modules: (To be developed jointly by consultant and CAID) Expected outcomes: Contingency plan on flood disaster developed at community, LGA and State levels Duration: 20 days (including preparatory, training delivery, support and report writing) Location: TBD
- Search & Rescue and First Aid task force training Target participants: Selected community members Objective: Support community response capability to flooding disaster through enhanced capacity in search and rescue, and administration of First Aid care to victims of flood disaster Core Modules: (As presented by consultant and agreed to) Expected Outcomes: – Selected community members trained on search & rescue
- Community members trained on administration of health & safety including provision of First Aid Duration: 20 days (including preparatory, trainings and report writing) Location: TBD
- Conducting mock drills and simulation exercises at LGA and community levels. Target participants: Community members including relevant state actors Objectives: – Test the readiness and preparedness of selected trained community members on emergency response
- Test the functionality and effectiveness of installed user-friendly and inclusive Early Warning apparatus in communities. Core Modules: (As presented by consultant and agreed to) Expected Outcome: – Trained community volunteers tested for ability, capacity and capability to respond to flooding disaster.
- Installed EWS at communities are functional and effective Duration: 30 days (or we can say 10 days if we are looking at 3 consultants) Location: TBD
- Media Training Target participants: Electronic and print media including faith leaders Objective: – To improve qualitative and timely information dissemination around EWS and disaster management
- Enhanced conflict sensitivity in reportage and news coverage
- Facilitate positive behavioural and attitudinal change through information and communication Core Modules: (As presented by consultant and agreed to) Expected outcomes: – Improved strategies for decentralised information dissemination and communication
- Conflict sensitive news-coverage and reportage entrenched among media practitioners
- Sustainable behavioural changes and mentorship influenced by faith leaders. Duration: 7 days (including preparatory, training and reporting) Location: TBD.
Application Deadline 18th July, 2018.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and only firms/applicants’ resident in NIGERIA are eligible to apply.