Vacant Job For Gardeners at the U.S. Mission
The U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria, is seeking to employ eligible and qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Gardener
Announcement Number: Abuja-2018-036AR
Series/Grade: LE-2 /1310
Security Clearance Required: FSN Security Clearance
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Job Type: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Slot: 4 Openings
- The incumbent performs gardening work on the Embassy Compound and all U.S. Government (USG) leased/owned properties.
- S/he is responsible for weeding, planting, pruning and watering, as well as the general maintenance and appearance of grounds and gardens at all of the USG Compounds.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Education: Completion of Primary school education is required.
- Experience: Two (2) years of gardening maintenance experience is required.
- Job Knowledge: Understanding the concept of gardening maintenance and equipment, as well as understanding of Nigeria horticulture environment is required.
- Language: Level II (Limited knowledge) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
- Skills and Abilities: Ability to lift up to 10kgs and undertake manual labor is required. Must be able to use a wide range of gardening equipment and powered hand tools.
- Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain:
- The military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and
- The character of service
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
NGN 2,385,434 / USD 21,121.
- Universal Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174)
- Application Letter addressing the Qualifications and Evaluations for the position
- Degree (not transcript)
- Certificate or License (Primary School Certificate, WAEC Certificate etc.)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
Submit Applications to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Application Deadline 9th October, 2018.
- Please limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold an FSN Security clearance.
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For More Info: Human Resources Office: 09-461-4261, E-mail Address: HRNigeria@state.gov
- Who May Apply: All Interested / All Sources, FS-CC is USD 21,121/LE is NGN 2,385,434 – Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.