United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Job Opportunity
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Research on Statelessness in Nigeria
Category: Protection Operational Support
Grade: IC – Level B
Duration of Contract: One Month
Contract Type: Consultancy
Functional Expertise and Responsibilities
- The consultant will also participate as a resource person in a validation workshop to be organised by UNHCR immediately after the completion and certification of the revised study.
- The consultant will present the study, provide additional information/clarification.
- The consultant will update the report further to the outcomes of the validation workshop in preparation for publication.
- The Consultant should provide a method for the treatment of the data collected, respecting the principles of anonymity, informed consent and protection.
- The consultant will review all aspects of the Study further to the appraisal of the Statelessness Expert, and in line with the comments/remarks from the appraisal.
- The consultant is expected to professionally review the study in line with the editorial work conducted by the international statelessness expert (contracted by UNHCR) within the 4 weeks period. The scope of the work include (but not limited to): review of the study for internal consistency and rearrangement of the structure of the report; providing information to fill gaps in the Study using secondary and primary sources; clarification or collection of additional information; revising the structure of the study and providing a forward, acknowledgement and an executive summary, table of contents, page for abbreviations, references and appendices (including the research tools/questionnaires); improve on the presentation of tables, figures and boxes and undertake cross tabulation if possible; title and identify the sources of the tables and figures; add a disclaimer/waiver note; identify and highlight the limitations of the reports including any gaps in the methodology and coverage which needs to be clearly stated; identify areas for further research.
Expected Deliverables and Remuneration
- Revised and finalized draft report of the study which has responded to all queries, suggestions and recommendations of the international consultant.
- The report, finalized in consultation of UNHCR, and its annexes;
- Validation workshop with key actors is organized and the study is validated.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Basic university degree preferably in Social Sciences, Development Studies or similar discipline with relevant work experience of between 8 and 12 years, or between 6 and 10 years and a post-graduate university degree.
- Experience in conduct of qualitative research and writing of action-oriented research paper.
- Strong analytical skills, experience in similar type of work, familiarity with professional terminology
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge of the focus areas of the study and ability to speak at least one of the local languages
- Nigeria-based and fluency (including writing) in the English language
- Good communication skill, namely tact and ability to work with illiterate people
- Previous work experience on statelessness and nationality; editing UNHCR’s publications; or consultancy with UNHCR are desirable.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 1st August, 2018.