The United Nations World Food Programme Job Vacancy
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Associate (Protocol) – G6
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary qualification in Administration work and related functions is required.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English..
- Experience: At least 6 years of progressive work experience in administration and related fields. Three years of demonstrated sound understanding of administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues through day to day work.
- These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of Unit, Chief or Administration Officer.
- At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance.
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
- Job holders have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided.
- Job holders are expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff.
- To coordinate and provide high quality, client-focused and value-for-money oriented administration services.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide administrative and research support for the management which includes maintaining records and filing of important reference documents of high confidentiality
- After visits from officials and dignitaries, ensure proper follow-up with thank you notes
- In line with team spirit, work on other special tasks assigned by the management, where his/her experience and skills are an asset and/or immediate shortage of personnel capabilities require so
- May be required to work and/or be “on call” after normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends or holidays and attend periodic functions and events after normal duty hours
- Manage, plan, coordinate and execute all aspects of protocol support
- Plan, coordinate and execute high-level foreign and domestic visits/functions, ceremonies and special events hosted by the office. This will include logistic coordination through advance market research to identify potential site locations, facility selections, invitations, seating arrangements, etc.
- Guide management away from etiquette or cultural mistakes and help forge important relationships without making embarrassing blunders
- Formulate, develop and implement protocol policies, strategy goals, objectives and programs for the office
- Develop and maintain reliable sources of information from government, interest groups and other United Nations organizations that provide timely and accurate data on political, economic, and social developments of different countries
- Develop and maintain a current mailing list of key contacts with appropriate bios and background. Contact government officials to arrange meetings or obtain information on current or future programmes
- Handing all protocol processes involved in the arrival of international staff
- Process of all Visa type for staff members
- Processing of Diplomatic cards.
- Follow up on tax exemption for imports
- Process number plate for official vehicle
- Process on duty cards for airport passage
- Providing protocol clearance for courtesy visit
- Handling all WFP shipment and port clearance and port clearance.
- Act as focal point between WFP and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Embassy and diplomatic community
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
- Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services: Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services.
- Customer Focus: Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.
- Capability Name: Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Business Support Services & Reporting: Applies strong ability to identify country level requirements and develop customer focused solutions and action plans. Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience.
- Internal Controls & Risk Management Utilises understanding of risk management approaches and internal controls to monitor projects and programmes to confirm regulatory compliance, ensure data integrity and ensure client satisfaction.
- Resource Management: Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients.
Desired Experience for Entry into the Role
- Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues through day to day work.
- Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national (or residents with valid residence & work permits) are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications should be submitted online and English only.
- To find out more about: WFPs work, www.wfp.org
- Compensation: https://icsc.un.org/secretariat/sad.asp?include=ss
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st July, 2018.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Candidates found to be canvassing for the position in any form will be disqualified.
- Qualified Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.