The International Organization for Migration Vacancy
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below;
Job Title: Programme Manager (Shelter)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- It is therefore crucial to recruit an experienced shelter programme manager, whose role will be to plan, coordinate and ensure the efficient delivery of shelter solutions to the affected population.
- Working under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the
- Senior Programme Coordinator (ER), the successful candidate will be responsible for the management and coordination of IOM Shelter Programmes in North-East Nigeria.
- In particular, he/she will perform the following duties:
- The North-Eastern part of Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. More than 1.7 million individuals are currently displaced as a consequence of the intensified attacks by the insurgents, as well as the counter-insurgency activities of the Nigerian Government, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States. Many of those are living in substandard shelters and are in dire need for support
- In light of the emerging crisis, the scale of IOM’s response in Nigeria is growing exponentially
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Design and Develop IOM’s shelter strategies in North-East Nigeria in close coordination with the Shelter/NFI and CCCM Sector working group, relevant Government counterparts, beneficiary communities and other relevant humanitarian stakeholders.
- Plan, develop, and supervise all Shelter activities in NE Nigeria in collaboration with relevant IOM units, the emergency coordinator, head of sub offices and field staff, to ensure efficient and timely implementation of these projects, in accordance with IOM and sector working group standards and guidelines.
- Supervise the administrative, financial, and other related activities of the Programme, including:
- Monitoring the financial management for the Programme and supervising the preparation of financial reports;
- Maintaining appropriate internal controls and development and implementation of relevant control systems;
- Coordinating administrative, logistical and human resources policies and practices within the section;
- Exercising oversight on financial expenditure and accountability.
- Ensure proper documentation of the shelter programme, including that all supportive documents for the projects (assessment, beneficiary registration, payment records, etc.) are recorded in the shelter database.
- Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children and other vulnerable groups in the programme are considered in the IOM shelter response.
- Recruit, train and supervise programme staff throughout the different phases of the programme cycle.
- Coach, support and oversee the performance of the field office staff assigned to the shelter programme.
- Undertake duty travel as required, for project site review and other duties of concern to the project.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Provide technical support to the Shelter/NFI and CCCM sector working group when needed, in coordination with the IOM Emergency coordinator, the Sector coordinators and other relevant sector partners in Nigeria, including but not limited to developing standards/guidelines, and involvement with different shelter technical working Groups.
- Ensure appropriate coordination with all humanitarian partners (including UN agencies, national and international NGOs, the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, IOM and other international organizations), as well as with national authorities and local structures.
- In coordination with the Chief of Mission, the Emergency coordinator and other relevant colleagues in the mission, develop resource mobilization strategy for the shelter programme and engage with donors and private sector for this purpose and provide input for the development of new programming as required.
- Responsible for programme reporting and provide regular input to the reporting unit for donor updates, donor reports, newsletters, etc. as needed.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Development, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University Degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Operational and extensive field experience in programme development, implementation and evaluation;
- Experience with international organizations, in development, implementation and evaluation, and/or project implementation and management;
- policies and priorities for the assessment and resolution of complex situations, including technical understanding;
- Ability to travel extensively to the field.
- Combination of training and in field of operations and logistics preferably in natural disaster or post conflict situations;
- Experience in post-conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment, project management and administrative and financial management (previous experience with IOM Shelter Programme an advantage);
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions;
- Preferably within the International Humanitarian Field and within the organizations of the UN Common System;
- Field experience are a distinct advantage, good knowledge of inter-agency and cluster processes;
- Broad sector knowledge and/or field experience in the areas of re-construction and community mobilization;
- Familiarity with the region an asset; Excellent demonstrated analytical skills applied on a wide range of factors, parameters,
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
- perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd July, 2018.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.