The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) Current Vacancies
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an international medical organization, founded in 2009. ALIMA’s aim is to provide a high standard of healthcare in situations of emergency or medical disaster and to improve the practice of humanitarian medicine by developing innovative projects associated with medical research. The specific feature of the association is to base its operating methods mainly on partnership with national medical players. By pooling and capitalizing on their skills, ALIMA and its partners give as many people as possible access to a high standard of treatment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to ALIMA obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of the medical doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensure the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC and CEmONC), neonatal and comprehensive abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with ALIMA Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols
- Wheen PMTCT is implemented, ensure implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling)
- Collaborate with the medical doctor and/or nurse in the management of Sexual violence cases
- Assess the feasibility for referral of pregnant women from the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries
- Ensure hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to ALIMA specifications
- Guarantee a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders)
- Properly follow up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breastfeeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices
- Ensure patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Supervise that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with national protocols, as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc.)
- Participate in the organisation of the ward in collaboration with other midwives and the maternity ward supervisor ; ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to national protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the newborn, executing and registering first neonatal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the newborn and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions ; supervise the use of drugs, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point
- Education: essential midwife diploma
- Experience: minimum of 2 years’ experience in practice; experience with NGO desirable
- Languages: English language essential; local languages (Kanuri, Shuwa, etc.) are assets
- Commitment, flexibility, professionalism, very good communication, service, stress management, teamwork, results
- Fixed term contract
Job Title: Nurse
Location: Baga, Borno
Working Conditions: Contract
- Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients according to ALIMA protocols, universal hygienic standards and other procedures, in order to ensure a good delivery of care.
- Implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards, security rules and other protocols and procedures regarding nursing and children nutrition matters.
Ensure proper functioning of the Therapeutic Program. This includes:
- Daily collect the number of new admissions and exits and to check the attendance
- Calculate the quantity of food needed for the day based on the number of children registered
- Ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, detecting the priority acute cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor if necessary.
- Carry-out all patient’s related tasks for the admission, weighing and measuring the children, identifying the degree and types of malnutrition, administration (patient card, register,..) etc.
- Ensure that medical and nutritional care is properly delivered to the patients and to daily follow the evolution of the patients.
- Carry-out consultations to children and their parents, undertaking a complete clinical examination of children, looking for associated pathologies, drawing up nutritional surveillance forms and milk cards, providing required vaccination, etc.
- Carry-out surveillance and follow-up of patients’ medical and nutritional evolution, identifying possible emergency situations arising and keeping doctors informed if necessary.
- Provide advice and inform children’s families about everything concerning the hospitalization, participate in the health education of the mothers and/or treatment process.
- Control all pharmacy, food, and medical equipment (carrying out inventories, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases arising.
- Nursing Diploma with nutritional training essential.
- Previous experience required
- Experience with NGO desirable.
- English language essential. Local language desirable.
- Desirable Computer literacy (word, excel)
- Results, teamwork, commitment, flexibility, service
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications (CV’s, qualifications and a Cover Letter with contact details) to: email@example.com
Applications can be submitted in person to ALIMA’ Office in Mongono or Baga, Borno State.
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.