Technical Specialist 10 / Entomology Coordinator at Abt Associates
Abt Associates – The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Specialist 10 / Entomology Coordinator – VectorLink
Req Id: 52785
- Under the supervision of the Entomology Technical Manager, the Entomology Coordinator will be responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will assist the Entomology Insectary Technicians with managing the insectary.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Support implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
- Establishment of sentinel sites
- Monitor vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conduct wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle and on new insecticide treated mosquito nets (ITNs) before distribution to evaluate the quality spray and products.
- Conduct wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides and bi-annually to evaluate insecticidal activity of ITNs.
- Monitor vector susceptibility tests to currently use and candidate insecticides on annual basis. Conduct intensity and synergist assays in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring.
- Participate in other field activities and planning processes of entomology activities
- Assist with procurement requests related to the field entomological activities
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these activities
- Support the Entomology Insectary Technicians in managing the insectary operations.
- Ensure proper and timely data recording and entry.
- Support capacity building on entomology activities including insecticide susceptibility testing.
- Publish results from regular entomological monitorig and operational resreach actvtreoisn on peer reviewed journals.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Entomology Technical Manager.
- This position may require frequent visits to the field and sentinel sites for mosquito collection.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) plus 8 years relevant experience or a Masters Degree (desirable) plus 6 years relevant experience, or or a PhD and 4 years relevant experience in Entomology, Public Health, Environmental Health, or other relevant field.
- Relevant professional work experience with significant amounts of experience directly in Vector Control and IRS Operations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills.
- Experience with USAID and donor projects is highly desirable.
- English language fluency.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online