Surveillance Epidemiologist/Coordinator at the African Field Epidemiology Network
Africa Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is the umbrella organization for applied epidemiology training, programs in Africa. It oversees the Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FETP) in 16 countries of Africa. It has been vested with the responsibility of implementing Lagos AIDS Indicator Survey (LAGAIS) in the State. In view of this, AFENET is recruiting men and women with field work experience to gather the Lagos data across the 20 Local Government Areas of Lagos State.
The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) seeks the services of candidates to fill the vacant position for the National Stop Transmission of Poliomyelitis (NSTOP) program:
Job Title: Surveillance Epidemiologist/Coordinator
- The responsibilities of the surveillance epidemiologist/coordinator is to provide technical support in strengthening surveillance for acute flaccid paralysis (AFP), vaccine preventable diseases and other Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) priority diseases in Nigeria.
- Under the supervision of NSTOP National Coordinator, the prospective candidate will be responsible for the coordination of all surveillance activities within NSTOP.
He or she will perform the following duties:
- Review, interpret and provide feedback on weekly polio surveillance data and the weekly epidemiology report. Monitor AFP and IDSR surveillance indicators, and identify gaps and issues with surveillance performance.
- Establish appropriate network with the Government and other partners involved in surveillance, and provide relevant support in data management, trainings, assessments, reviews and other Government-led surveillance activities in the country.
- Provide appropriate guidance on enhancement of Surveillance in IDP camps and other surveillance priority areas in the Northeast States especially Borno and Yobe states
- Provide technical oversight and feedback to NSTOP Field coordinators (FCs) and NSTOP LGA officers (NSLOs) on surveillance performance in their States and LGAs respectively, and provide guidance on approaches to improve surveillance.
- Work closely through NSLOs with LGA and state officials involved in surveillance with a focus on AFP.
- Provide necessary technical and managerial expertise to improve the implementation of
- NSTOP enhanced surveillance project
- Provide technical expertise in the development of AFP surveillance training materials in collaboration with training unit, and coordinate surveillance trainings at different levels to improve capacity for surveillance at these levels.
- Provide technical advice based on data to guide implementation of evidence-based strategies to improve surveillance performance at all levels.
- Provide support and technical guidance to the surveillance working group at the national polio EOC, NCDC surveillance review meetings, Expert Review Committee (ERC) meetings on polio eradication and RI among others.
- Document all NSTOP surveillance activities weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Guide and support AFP field reviews and AFP surveillance projects conducted by FELTP
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervisor
Certifications, License, Physical Requirements or Other Expertise Required
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Veterinary Epidemiology or related field
- First Degree in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or related field
- Post-graduate training through a field epidemiology training program or the Epidemic
- intelligence Service (EIS) is an added advantage
- The incumbent must have at least 3 years of field experience in acute flaccid paralysis
- (AFP) surveillance and surveillance for other vaccine preventable diseases
- Language proficiency in English.
- A good understanding of AFP surveillance system and immunization is a requirement
- Strong technical knowledge in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, disease outbreak investigation, data management including analysis and interpretation of AFP surveillance data.
- Skills in Microsoft Office, Epi Info, SPSS and Stata
- Ability to communicate clearly in English language orally and in writing
- Ability to engage in successful interaction; extensive contact with members of government agencies and partners at national, state and local government levels
Application Closing Date
4th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online