Solidarités International New Ongoing Recruitment
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 1 year
About the mission
- Solidarites International opened the Nigeria mission over the summer 2016. Starting with a single project, this mission has quickly expanded and SI is now a major WASH and shelter actor in the Borno State.
- The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in the area and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood.
Programs Currently Running:
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO – in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- Multi-sectorial WASH and FSL project funded by EuropeAid over 3 years in consortium leaded by ALIMA – started in January 2018 in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba.
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA – Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
This mission is young but rather strong and has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the humanitarian needs in the area and to ensure a real humanitarian impact. The team is well staffed with very diverse profiles (former SI, former national staffs from several SI missions, various backgrounds and technicalities). Overall, the atmosphere is very good, people get along well and they love to play volleyball on Sundays.
Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 190
- The total budget of the mission is around 7.5 million euros.
About the Job
The two program implemented at Maiduguri’s level are the following:
- Multi-sectorial Health-Nutrition-WASH-Shelter-FSL-Protection project funded by ECHO in partnership with PUI, ACTED, INTERSOS and TDH (leaded by ACTED) in Monguno/Kukawa and Maiduguri
- Emergency WASH in Health project funded by ECHO in partnership with ALIMA (leaded by SI) in Maiduguri and Monguno/Kukawa
- In Maiduguri, the projects are mainly about provision of safe water, improved sanitation infrastructures and adequate hygiene practices for IDPs and host communities. It was firstly a short-term emergency approach, which brings many challenges. In Maiduguri, SI plans to keep the provision of access to WASH services in the needed areas while improving the sustainability of its past and current projects through capacity building and community engagement and empowerment.
- In addition, SI has resources (contingency stock and emergency team) to respond to outbreak (mainly cholera outbreaks) in all zone potentially affected in Borno State. Maiduguri is the base of deployment and assists the emergency team in his response.
- The Program Manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposal
- He/she is in charge of supervising the operational team allocated to his/her program
- He/she guarantees the proper and smooth implementation of the project and monitor the quality, accountability and the impact of the project
The Main Challenges:
- The specificity of this position is the wide range of skills needed, with a solid interweaving of the soft wash aspects and the hard wash aspects. Therefore, there is not only a need for good technicity, but also a need to understand well the context. As well, good teaching abilities are needed to pass down those skills to the team.
- The mission has an outstanding potential, which needs to be further channeled and developed in several directions. Indeed, there are immediate needs (in IDPs camps) that require a quick response, but there are also long-term infrastructures that are been built and therefore need to have their management ensured on the long term.
- Capacity building will be a key point. The activity manager assisting the PM is technically strong, and he is used to SI procedures. He needs further training on reporting to be at ease with all the tools in place. He is very resourceful as well in term of strategic vision and therefore has to be developed in this direction. The rest of the team presents also very interesting profiles, who should be further encouraged.
- Currently, the cholera outbreak is hitting hard Maiduguri. The emergency team was deployed and carried out disinfections, case investigation, and targeted hygiene promotion. Pushing for a better coordination will be one of the main tasks as well for data harmonization/collection.
- The community mobilizer team have been at the center of a mapping initiative (with GIS) to center all the data of the projects. Still getting trained on the job (with the support of the field coo assistant), the objective is to develop a dynamic database that could be used to produce maps easily and visualize better gaps, the evolution of the context, targeted assessments reports etc… to interact better with partners as well and develop stronger operational partnerships.
- There was a shift in the hygiene promotion strategy to adapt to the context and invest a more user-centered approach. This is not a familiar methodology for the teams, and therefore still a work in progress with need for continuous capacity building.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in related sectors of WASH, Civil Engineering, Hydrogeology
- Experience in tensed context in terms of security
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required
- Strong HR management skills with field experience in delivering training and capacity building;
- Very strong proficiency in Excel, with good data treatment abilities.
- GIS and VBA capacities would be an asset
- Autocad proficiency would be an asset.
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities;
- Great work and stress management capacities;
- Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments
- Civil Engineer/Hydrologist/Electronic Engineer profile with experiences in building small scale water distribution network, and used to Civil Engineering works
- Strong knowledge of water network sizing and design (including building business plans and management system) is important for this position
- Electrical knowledge (solar supply sizing and installation) would be an asset
- Good knowledge and experience on community based approached, social sciences methodologies, behavior change communication approaches, social marketing
- Previous field humanitarian experience as a Wash program/project manager
- Hydrogeology and understanding of sedimentary aquifer systems including artesian systems,
- Borehole drilling and knowledge on heavy duty equipment and technics on deep boreholes,
- Sizing and implementation of solar powered pumping systems
- Sizing and implementation of gravity-fed networks
- The living conditions of the base are comfortable (A.C, comfortable beds, TV, ping pong table, good cooking etc) with possibility of finding a wide range of goods for cooking. Despite restriction (curfew & limitation of movement), the level of activities is quite good (Sport: Soccer, volleyball…and interactions with other INGO)
- The multicultural environment allows for enriching exchanges and extensive discussions, as the atmosphere is very uplifting. The problematic aspect is that security procedures are quite restrictive (which is normal given the context) but it means that movement are limited and that knowledge of the city and the culture will be also very limited.
SI Will Offer You
- According to experience, starting from 1980 Euros gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
- +100 Euros/year of humanitarian experience at the same position
- +50 Euros/year of experience at a humanitarian position which has helped to reach the current level
- and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
- SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
- During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time-off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months
- For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 750 USD allocated by Solidarités)
- He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
Social and Medical Cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks
- Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd December, 2018.
Note: The vacancy may close before the closing date. Thank you for your comprehension.