Solidarites International New Job Position
Solidarites International – For over 35 years, the humanitarian aid organization Solidarites International has been committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: drinking water, food and shelter.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Shelter Officer
Location: Dikwa, Borno
Beginning of contract: 1/8/2018
Contract duration: 3 months– Probation period: 1 month
Delocalization policy: applicable, according to SI conditions
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader and in functional link with the Shelter advisor Assistant, the shelter Officer will lead and supervise shelter work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements.
List of Main Responsibilities
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Watsan Team Leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce (carpenters, mason, …) and daily workers
- Control the quality/quantity of the materials arriving in the construction site
- Be in charge of given the materials to the IDPs
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader or Shelter advisor assistant
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates and follow the recommendation of the Shelter Coordinator or Shelter advisor assistant.
- Controls the quality of the implementation
- Respect deadlines established with his/her supervisor or project manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and/or program manager assistant on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population.
- Fill and send daily report to the Watsan Team leader ,
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request Personal abilities
- Fill and send concrete test report, and quality check report
- Fill and send monitoring report
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to his supervisor regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Professional experience: 6 months of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector)
- Languages : English, Kanori, Haussa, Shua (additional languages a plus).
- Teamworking skills
- Good time management skills
- Good communication skills.
- Good knowledge of planing, implementing and evaluating shelters project
- IT skills: EXCEL, WORD, OUTLOOK, AUTOCAD.
Salary and Conditions
In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications ( with CV’s, Cover Letter’s, References in one single file) in only one file in Word or PDF and only by E-mail to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 16th July, 2018.
- The file must be named with your name and surname.
- The subject of the mail must be Shelter Officer Dikwa
- Candidates from Dikwa are invited to apply
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.