SMART Nutrition Survey Consultant At Première Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a French based international Non-Governmental Organization whose mission is to helps civilians who are marginalized or excluded as a result of natural disasters, war and economic collapse.
PUI has been in Nigeria since April 2016 when it came in to respond to Boko Haram insurgency related emergency. Initial PUI’s interventions in Nigeria were in Food Security and Livelihood sector but in order to meet other identified humanitarian needs on the ground, PUI started a Health project in Bolori 2 ward of Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) local government area of Borno state.
The Health project has two main components: support the state Ministry of Heath operationalize the Herwa Peace Estate Primary Health Care Center (PHCC), and establish three mobile health Clinics (MHCs) in the PHCC’s catchment population of Bolori 2 ward. Nutrition services (Essential Nutrition Package) are an integral part of the Primary Health Care services provided both by the PHCC and MHCs.
SMART Nutrition Survey Consultant
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience2 years
- Job FieldConsultancy Medical / Health NGO/Non-Profit
RMS OF REFERENCE FOR A SMART SURVEY CONSULTANCY IN MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE OF NIGERIA
Project Name :Healthcare Provision for Crisis Affected Population in Maiduguri, Nigeria
Position: SMART Nutrition Survey Consultant
Short Assignment: Conduct SMART Nutrition Survey
Position Location: Maiduguri
Reporting to: Medical Coordinator, field coordinator, deputy HoM to program, FSL coordinator
Work with: Nutritionist, Primary Health Care PM, Mobile Health Clinics Manager.
Duration: 29 days
Start date: 2nd October, 2017
End date: 30th October, 2017
PUI’s Nutrition package is integrated into the Primary Health Care services offered in the PHCC and MHCs in Bolori 2 ward. Currently, the main components of nutrition services include outpatient therapeutic feeding program (OTP) component of community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), promotion of infant and young child nutrition (IYCN) education, micro-nutrient supplementation, deworming, and iron supplementation/promotion of iron dense foods. The project targets to achieve a 70% coverage on all the above mentioned services. One of the project’s key activities is to conduct a nutrition survey/ assessment in project area in order to monitor /determine the general nutritional status among the under-five children, boys and girls, pregnant and lactating mothers.
PURPOSE OF THE TOR:
The purpose of this scope of work is to support the procurement of the services of a SMART SURVEY consultant who would conduct an anthropometric and mortality SMART survey in PUI project area in Bolori 2 ward of MMC Local Government area of Borno state, Nigeria. The consultant will plan for and implement the survey as well as submit both preliminary and final survey reports to PUI.
The consultant will prepare and conduct a nutrition survey in Bolori 2 ward in coordination with SMoH/SPHCDA. He/she will develop and design survey tools using SMART Methodology i.e. sampling procedure, sample size for anthropometric data, selection of households and children, training and supervision of teams during data collection. Generally he/she will assume overall responsibility of carrying out the survey.
THE SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF THIS CONSULTANCY ARE TO:
- Estimate the prevalence of acute malnutrition (Global and severe) amongst children aged 6-59 months.
- Estimate the prevalence of malnutrition in pregnant and lactating women aged 15 – 49 years
- To retrospectively estimate both Crude and Under 5 mortality rates.
- Determine some of the contributing factors of malnutrition in the survey area.
- Estimate measles vaccination coverage and Vitamin A supplementation proportion.
- Assess Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices among children age 0 – 23 months.
SCOPE OF WORK
Using the SMART methodology, the consultant, together with the PUI Nutritionist will determine a sample size for anthropometric and retrospective mortality survey based on the previous survey information.
Train data collectors for the survey: Transfer skills in undertaking a SMART survey to PUI staff.
Organize actual survey: Ensure accurate data collection at field level. Ensure adequate supervision and coordination of the survey teams in the field and collect relevant reference materials for report writing
Data processing and management; ensure accurate data entry and analyze data and compile a comprehensive nutrition/SMART survey report.
Reporting: The preliminary assessment report will be send to the Nutrition cluster within 3 days of completion of data collection; the consultant will present preliminary findings of the survey to PUI, and PUI will, upon review, send it to the nutrition cluster for validation purpose. The consultant will lead in the presentation of the survey summary before the Nutrition sector members. The final report, incorporating all comments and inputs received, will be submitted to PUI within 5 days after validation of the preliminary report.
The consultant is expected to provide:
- Final nutrition survey Methodology (agreed following consultant selection).
- Power point presentation of preliminary findings.
- A preliminary and final nutrition survey report.
- An Itemized price quotation for consultancy fee (Exclusive of international and domestic travel expenses which will be provided separately by PUI)
TIME FRAME AND WORK SCHEDULE:
- The duration of the survey will be 29 days. The start date will be the date indicated in th Contract. See here bellow the survey schedule;
- Travel days: 2 days
- Preparation of survey protocols, developing tools and collection of secondary data: 5 days
- Training and pre-testing of PUI staff and Survey enumerators: 4 days
- Data collection and entry: 10 days
- Analysis and Submission of Preliminary Report:3 days
- Submit final Report: 5 days
- Total: 29 days
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF THE CONSULTANCY.
- PUI will provide accommodation for the consultant in team guest houses
- Meals and other incidentals will be responsibility of the consultant (s)
- The consultant will conduct his/her work using his/her own computer equipment.
- Other miscellaneous costs directly related to the task that can include photocopying of questionnaires, etc. shall be covered by PUI. Any cost needs to have prior approval from PUI.
- The movement of the consultant and team to and from the field will be facilitated by PUI.
- PUI will provide survey enumerators, translators as may be required.
- The cost related to travel from/ to Field of the survey teams will be covered by PUI.
- Payments will be paid in two instalments; First Instalment 30% and the remaining 70% as the final instalment, first instalment will be paid after completion and validation of the survey methodology and final instalment will be paid after production of acceptable deliverables as outlined in this TOR.
QUALIFICATIONS and COMPETENCIES
- The consultant should preferably be a holder of a post graduate degree in public health, social sciences or related discipline.
- Qualified and experienced consultant with Health and Nutrition background in surveys and assessments using SMART methodology.
- Minimum experience of having lead SMART or similar survey in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Mention 2 SMART Survey that he/she has conducted
- Proven team leading and managerial experience
- Knowledge of working with conflict-affected populations
Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of local language is an added advantage.
- The consultant must have a strong background in statistics and data analysis. Must know SMART survey methodology and ENA for SMART, SPSS, Epi/ENA or Epi Info software.
- Excellent reporting and presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
- Fluency in English and local languages spoken in the working area is an advantage. Willingness to travel extensively and work under pressure & meeting deadlines
- Ability to work in a multicultural and inter-sectoral environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team with the other staff members.
- Ability to coordinate, direct and supervise others to achieve a common goal.
- Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort
- Have significant experience in undertaking nutrition surveys (design and methodologies, staff recruitment and training, field supervision and data analysis and survey report write up).
Method of Application
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV, and technical proposal detailing survey methodology, work plan and budget) to email@example.com, copying firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com