Senior Research Consultant Job at The Institute for Security Studies
The Institute for Security Studies is an African organisation which aims to enhance human security on the continent.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Research Consultant, West Africa
Duration: Initial period of 6 month and may be renewed subject to ISS’ requirements, funding and satisfactory performance.
- We are seeking a Nigeria-based senior research consultant on human security in West Africa. The consultant will undertake primary and secondary research and analysis, develop policy recommendations based on the findings, and actively communicate results to ISS stakeholders through written products, verbal communication and media commentary.
- The work will involve independently managing the entire process of complex projects, including tracking budgets and expenditure, and monitoring and evaluation of impact. The consultant will help build the ISS’ profile by initiating and maintaining relationships with ISS stakeholders and donors in Nigeria (such as the ECOWAS Commission, diplomatic community, Nigerian government), ensuring engagement with research results, and shaping African and global decision making on human security. The consultant will report to the ISS Dakar Office Director.
Overview of Deliverables
- Convene seminars, closed briefings and expert roundtables, and present research findings at ISS events and other relevant forums
- Identify new opportunities for funding, and draft concept notes and proposals
- Implement effective monitoring and evaluation plans for projects and ensure that relevant monitoring data is collected throughout the project cycle, including objective means to demonstrate and report on results
- Stay abreast of human security developments in West Africa, with a focus on the gulf states (Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Ghana) through monitoring the media and other sources, primary research, and information gathered from national and international networks
- Initiate, plan and undertake primary and secondary research, and disseminate the results in a timely, insightful and relevant way to specific audiences
- Maintain proactive relationships with key partners and relevant regional and international organisations
- Conduct regular media interviews
Overview of Requirements
- Masters or PhD qualification in strategic/security studies, sociology, anthropology, law, politics or a relevant field
- Excellent English and French language skills. The candidate must be fluent in at least one of the two languages and should have a good command of the other (both written and verbal)
- Experience in and a willingness to work both in a diverse team and independently and be self-motivated
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Willingness to travel.
- At least five years work experience in a policy, research, government, training or other relevant professional environment
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills, in particular the ability to work in constructive partnerships with international and continental organisations, governments and civil society
- At least two years experience in managing projects
- Experience in budget management and financial administration
- Knowledge and practical experience of monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills supported by a track record of relevant publications, media commentary and public speaking at international forums
A competitive fee is offered.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter, detailed CV, and recent writing sample, including at least three contactable referees to “Aida Niang” via: email@example.com
Application Deadline 15th July, 2018.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.