Senior Laboratory Program Manager at eHealth Africa
eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
Senior Laboratory Program Manager
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA PhD/Fellowship
- Experience 10 years
- Location Kano
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Summary of Job
- The Senior Laboratory Program Manager will be responsible for the management of all laboratory programs at eHealth Africa.
- S/he will help set the strategic direction, plan and implement the overall laboratory policies, research activities, procedures, and services
- S/he will take responsibility for all aspects of the labs including equipment, employees, supplies, software and documentation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this role successfully, the Senior Laboratory Program Manager will perform the following responsibilities which will include but not limited to:
- Provides eHealth Africa Senior Management Team with strategic guidance on laboratory programs and services, laboratory research and field epidemiology studies.
- Identifies and assists in the preparation of research grant proposals, RFIs, clinical study protocols, IRB applications and capacity statements.
- Establishes and expands relationships with partner organizations and funding agencies.
- Establishes a plan and process for attaining ISO 15189 quality standards in all eHealth Africa laboratories.
- Maintains the performance of laboratory equipment by establishing best practices standards, developing efficient operations, and effective troubleshooting procedures; ensuring staff compliance; certifying instrument performance; arranging services, repairs and replacement of equipment.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Maintains laboratory productivity by monitoring workload of functional areas; identifying peak and slack periods; making operational staffing adjustment.
- Work with various regulatory agencies as required.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures and maintain records to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Maintains quality results by creating a laboratory quality assurance program; consulting with pathologists; performing proficiency surveys; reviewing quality control and quality assurance programs; making adjustments in policy and procedures; generating reports; maintaining records.
- Maintains laboratory information system by identifying information needs and problems; recommending improvements; establishing priorities; testing; writing user manuals; training employees; maintaining security and non-disclosure confidentiality.
- Implements new programs, tests, methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating alternatives; preparing proposals; developing & performing parallel testing; and monitoring progress.
- Maintains laboratory staff by identifying manpower need, identifying training gaps and proffering solutions to competency deficiency.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
Qualifications / Skills
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job:
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medical Laboratory Science, Microbiology, Medical Technology, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years experience with at least 5 years hands-on laboratory supervisory/managerial experience.
- Experience obtaining or maintaining ISO 15189 and other national/international laboratory accreditation.
- Experience conducting laboratory and field epidemiology studies and publishing results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Expertise in using statistical analysis software such as STATA, EpiInfo or R.
- Experience configuring and using Lab Information Management Systems.
- Strong leadership skills, including good problem solving skills and the ability to inspire confidence in teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communications with a strong aptitude for succinctly presenting thoughts and ideas to senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient marketing and managerial skills.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHealth Africa is a tobacco-free environment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer and/or reach with hands and arms.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to eHealth Systems Africa career website on ehealthafrica.bamboohr.com to apply