Security Manager at Terre des hommes
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a child relief Non-Governmental Organization with a presence in over 30 countries of the world and more than 90 projects. Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference the lives of children in need.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash and Child Protection sectors and is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Manager
- The primary function of the Security Manager is to provide assistance to the Administrative and Logistic Coordinator and the Country Representative, as assigned, on all issues of safety and security as they relate to staff at all program sites in Borno State Nigeria.
- The Security Manager oversees daily security management of Tdh activities in more than 10 areas in Borno States.
- The Security Manager will monitor and assess security conditions, assist and provide direction to country management teams and the Security Focal Point.
Responsabilities and Tasks
- Update and create the Security Risk Assessments (SRA’s), SOP’s and Contingency Plans
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that all field staff is fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce staff vulnerability to those threats
- Design and drill warden systems, emergency communications networks, and provisioning of emergency supplies for field personnel
- Ensure internal incident tracking system is utilized properly and perform incident mapping and analysis
- Collects security related information from local and regional resources as it applies to sites and communicates with the Administrative and logistic Coordinator and the Country Representative as appropriate
- Monitors the security preparedness of country staff and works with the Administrative and Logistic Coordinator and the Country Representative to enforce staff compliance with internal security policies and SOPs
- When directed by the DGS, carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff trainings
- Act as a key member of the Field Incident Team when required during a crisis so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensures logistics follows a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
- Audits communications equipment and facilitates communications-related assistance when necessary.
- Recommends changes in country security plans to the Administrative and logistic Coordinator and the Country Representative as needed
- Ensure induction security briefings are conducted to all new staff, visitors or volunteers.
Conduct security watch:
- Gain a thorough understanding on safety and security issues in Nigeria and develop an effective and efficient security related information collection
- Support the the Administrative and logistic Coordinator and the Country Representative in the security watch. Be able to recognize, exploit and analyze the information that can have an incidence on Tdh operations
- Follow the evolution of local, national, regional and international context
- Ensure the link with the regional security advisor to share and strengthen analysis
- Support the diversification of information sources in the field and capitalize information about key contacts
- Develop his own network in order to gather and cross check information coming from the field and from other networks
- Assess what are the current security procedures of others NGOs
- Attend with the external meetings related to his/her activities and follow the security tree.
Coordination and representation:
- Attends security coordination meetings and updates CR on current security issues
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
- Work in close collaboration with Tdh partners and other key actors
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (programme and support) of Tdh Nigeria.
Maintain and continually develop the network:
- Maintain regular contacts with the local authorities and armed groups (including security state bodies), as well as with the HoB and/or the Head of Delegation
- If needed, ensure to get the relevant authorization letter and/or the facilitation paper from the relevant department
- Compile all the data contacts phone numbers, facilitation/supporting letters.
Training and management:
- Assess risk behaviour from Tdh staff
- Provide training to persons who have security responsibilities in the mission
- Continuous appraisal of the capacity needed and capacity building of the staff
- Organize context relevant training for all Tdh staff concerning general safety and security, including first aid, communication equipment, dress code.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Accept new responsibilities as and when those are assigned by the line manager.
- At least 5 years experience as a security position within international organization
- Good knowledge of Borno State context
- English is mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Ability to work under high pressure and without constant supervision
- Good organisational skills, co-ordination and transfer of knowledge
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to team work
- Ability to work in a tense context with strict security measures.
- Other knowledge: Acquaintance with NGO’ rules, procedures and regulations; Acquaintance with the Child Protection Minumim Standards
- Work in relief or development sector
- Strong motivation to help people in needs
- Transversal skills
- Honest and trustworthy
- Reliable, rigorous and well organized
- Motivated and dedicated to his/her job
- Ability to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able and willing to learn to extend his/her scope of work
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision.
Application Closing Date
25th April, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit copies of updated CV, Letter of Motivation and National ID card and 3 reference contacts to:email@example.com Please write “Security Manager” in the subject line of your mail.
- The position must be clearly indicated on the application.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be conducted.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.