Save The Children Job Vacancy For A Logistics Coordinator
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator
- The Logistics Coordinator is responsible for the management in all logistics and procurement functions including the supply chain, fleet, assets and communications in coordination relevant colleagues.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Area Operations Manager with matrix reporting to the Head of Logistics
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Logistics staff and drivers
- Support the initiative of the Country Office Logistics team
- To organise with the support of the Logistics team all logistics processes, including contracting, purchasing, warehousing, communications and transport for SC operations.
- To supervise and support all logistic personnel working for SC in Lagos
- To implement and monitor logistics systems, in accordance with SC policies and procedures.
- To establish and maintain good contacts with suppliers, government offices, UN agencies and other NGOs with regards to logistical matters.
- To report monthly on all logistics activities to the Area Manager and to the Logistics in Country Office.
- To participate during the drawing up of new project proposals.
- To perform any other logistical duties in line with SC procedures reasonably requested of you by the Area Manager.
- In case of security incidence, civil disturbance or arbitrary malicious intent, in consultation with the Area Manager, to safeguard vehicles, communications and other capital equipment, either by disabling it, hiding it, or by driving it to safety, under the condition that this effort does not jeopardise the personal safety of any staff involved.
- To build pre-qualified supplier’s lists and necessary FWA as well as support the procurement of items based on authorized requisitions, in line with SC procedures.
- To keep records of and maintain contacts with suppliers and local repair/maintenance shops, and to conduct price comparisons among them, in order to get the best deals.
- Set up and inaugurate a procurement committee which shall oversee all procurement need/processes as well as conduct all necessary tender process in accordance with the procurement policies.
- Support the programme staff towards developing of a procurement plan in tandem with the programs needs and inputs.
- Work with the CO team for international orders for the projects.
- Maintain and share regularly an updated Procurement tracker
Warehousing, Transport and Communication:
- To ensure that warehouse, Assets and GPE tracking are implemented according to the Organization’s Policy and Guidelines
- Oversee the supervision and planning of vehicle allocation in order to optimally serve the needs of the programme.
- To ensure the monitoring of the fuel consumption and maintenance of SC vehicles and the skills of the drivers.
- Manage and build the capacities of SCI drivers towards becoming responsive and professional in the execution of their work. Safety training is essential in this role.
- Provide monthly reports for Assets and WH to the Area Manager and Logistics management in the CO.
- To oversee the installation, programming, adequate use and maintenance of communications equipment, including telephones, radios and thurayas.
- To prepare job descriptions for logistics staff.
- To recruit, instruct and supervise logistics staff.
- To provide trainings for the logistic teams.
- To set objectives for the logistics personnel and performance plans of all staff in the department while managing them.
- To ensure that the SCI logistics systems, procedures and working practices are adhered to.
- To ensure that the proper administrative procedures and standards for requisition follow-up, purchasing, stock keeping and dispatch are followed.
- To keep a proper record and filing of procurement documents and documents for other related Logistics functions.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Tertiary education in a related field.
- Good experience in Procurement, Warehousing, Vehicle management.
- Significant experience in managing competing priorities.
- Practical experience in working HF and VHF radios.
- Good written and spoken English and other languages as required.
- Ability to keep clear and concise records.
- Commitment to SCI child safeguarding policies, equal opportunity and gender policies.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and with the aims and objectives of SCI.
- At least 4 years experience in logistics/procurement role
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiating skills.
- Team-working skills.
- Flexibility under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Attention to detail and excellent numeracy.
- Good experience in: purchasing, clearing and forwarding, exemption waiver pursuit, NAFDAC and Customs processes and procedures.
- Previous work experience, ideally with non-governmental organizations would be an advantage.
- Experience in Logistics.
- Logistics training or qualification an added advantage.
- Experience of supervision of staffs and good team work (integration).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be assessed as received and ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- SCI reserves the right to close the vacancy before the end of the closing date.
Application Deadline 17th October, 2017.