Sasakawa Africa Association Vacancy for Theme 2 Coordinator
The Sasakawa Africa Association (SAA), a non-profit non-governmental organization with Regional Office in Addis Adaba, works to promote the development, demonstration and widespread adoption of improved food production and post-production technologies for smallholder farmers in Ethiopia, Mali, Nigeria & Uganda. This is being pursued in partnership with government agricultural extension service, machine service providers and other stakeholders.
The project is implemented through five interrelated objectives, one of which is the promotion of improved postharvest and agro-processing technologies (Theme 2) in order to add value to food production, to develop agro-processing industries especially for rural women and youth groups, and to create market linkages.
The project will be implemented at the Regional Level by the Thematic Director supported by a Theme Coordinator and a Program Officer from each country.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Theme 2 Coordinator (Postharvest and Agro-Processing Extension)
Scope of Work
The Theme Coordinator works under the supervision of the Thematic Director (Postharvest and Agro-processing Extension) and the Country Director, and is tasked to:
- Conduct and analyze baseline surveys on the status of postharvest and agroprocessing technologies in each country.
- Analyze and develop an extension program to promote agro-processing industry in his/her country of assignment.
- Monitor and report on impact of postharvest and agro-processing technology extension.
- Work with stakeholders, including policy-makers, in identifying markets and to establish market-support systems for improved access by farmers and processors.
- Write project proposals and reports for meeting and strategy planning in consultation with the Thematic Director, and prepare background briefings for developing the thematic program in the country.
- Implement and manage the extension program including monitoring progress and ensuring timely completion of programmed activities.
- Analyze and report sri economic feasibility of various postharvest and agro-processing options for promotion tofarmers and processors.
- Mobilize and train agro-processors, especially rural women farmers, on value-adding and market-oriented processes.
- Promote extension services and provide feedback among thematic colleagues and to partners from other agencies through presentations, reports and dialogues.
- Maintain up to date report files.
- Design and prepare pack training packages (leaflets, handouts, etc.) fo’ use by farmers/processors-
- Additional assignments as directed by the Supervisor
- The candidate must possess a Master of Science (MSc) degree on Postharvest Management, Food Technology or Rural Development, or other related technical discipline.
- Has the ability to write technical reports.
- Demonstrate competence in a variety of computer applications, including database, spreadsheet and word processing programs.
- At least 10 years professional/work experience with research and extension organization preferably in the development and promotion of postharvest and agro-processing technologies.
- Must have a knowledge of technologies and processes that adds value to agricultural produce.
- Has knowledge on markets and market networks for agricultural produce.
- Has proven initiative and leadership skills.
- Willing to do extensive field work.
Conditions and Remuneration
- Contract for one year, with possibility of extension depending on performance and
- availability of funds.
- Duty station is Kano, with frequent travel within the country.
- Salary based on the organization scale
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit an application, including the following non-returnable documents:
- Application letters stating Intent of interest.
- Curriculum Vitae with three referees;
- Copies of credentials
All applications must be made electronically using the following email or postal address: email@example.com copy L.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Country Director,
Sasakawa Global 2000,
No. 8 Kura Road,
Off Magajin Rumfa Nassarawa GRA,
Application Deadline 4th December, 2017.