Safety Officer at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi, Maiduguri and Yobe, over 100 staff members subject to increase in near future.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field Safety and Environment / HSE
The role of the Safety Officer (SO) is focused on the continuous implementation of safety strategies and protocols in order to ensure a high level of safety and wellbeing for all DRC/DDG staff based in Field location. The SO will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with Program and Program support teams at the field level. He/ She will promote a strong Safety culture at their Base office(s) through continuous trainings and collaborative safety assessments with all field based staff. The SO will serve as the Safety unit representative at Field level and also serve, when required as the Safety unit representative on the Field Crisis Management Team. The SO will report directly to the Head of Base and will technically report to the Safety Advisor, and will be an integral part of the Safety Unit.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply online or send the application by post/hand deliver to the address mentioned below.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of gender, religion or age.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to humanitarian work or risk management
- 3 years of demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO with at least 1 year of field safety management experience included.
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English, and local language e.g Hausa, Fulani etc.
- Working experience in MS Office 2013 package including hands-on experience/skills & MS Excel Power Point, Word and Outlook.
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines.
- Knowledge of local languages.
- Experience in preparing reports.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills
- Experience in developing safety related technical tools guidelines and systems
- Willing to meet short deadlines with minimum supervision.
- Willing to travel within DRC offices within Nigeria.
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Method of Application
CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 35 countries throughout the world. We are the largest humanitarian NGO in Denmark and consistently ranked as one of the world’s best NGOs according to Global_Geneva.
We fulfil our mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people and host communities in the conflict areas of the world. We also advocate on behalf of conflict-affected populations globally on the basis of humanitarian principles and the Human Rights Declaration. Our work and long-term strategies are guided by our five core values: Humanitarian approach – Respect – Independence & neutrality – Inclusion – Honesty & transparency.
You can read more about our vision and work on drc.ngo.
Interested and qualified? Go to Danish Refugee Council (DRC) career website on candidate.hr-manager.net to apply