Safety Advisor Mobile, Lake Chad Basin at the International Ngo Safety Organisation
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety Advisor Mobile, Lake Chad Basin
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it. Successful candidates will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate to an excellent standard of English and French both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
- The Mobile Safety Advisor is a roving specialist who is frequently deployed to our field offices across the Lake Chad Basin in order to cover standard SA duties whilst the regional SA is out of office, and to support local teams in crisis situation or with trainings and on-the-job orientations. Frequent travels and flexibility in adjusting to different regional teams and situations are key requirements of this post.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily incident alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small office team, including supervision national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluency in English & French (written and spoken).
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Strong writing and proven analytical abilities (proven written/published sample requested).
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application.
- Minimum 1 recent year experience in the Lake Chad Basin region- ideally in an NGO safety role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the security dynamics and context.
- Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Local language skills.
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good listener.
- An effective communicator.
- Excellent analyst.
- Team player.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A people manager.
Terms & Conditions
12-month contract with expected start date in March 2018, €4550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 3 days of R&R every 3 months, global medical coverage, AD&D coverage.
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send the following documents below to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the mail: “INSO Safety Advisor Mobile, Abuja-Nigeria”
The following documents must contain the two (2) following documents:
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
- Updated CV (2 pages maximum).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10-page maximum).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
- Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.