Provost at the Federal College of Education (Technical), Omoku
The Federal College of Education (Technical), Omoku, Rivers State of Nigeria is one of the Federal Colleges of Education (Technical) established by Act No. 4 of 1986 of the Federal Government of Nigeria. Act No.6 of 1993 amended the Act.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Provost
Location: Omoku, Rivers
- This is to inform the general public that the position of the PROVOST of the Federal College of Education (Technical), Omoku, Rivers State will soon be vacant.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position when vacant.
- Candidates for the post must demonstrate evidence of strong academic and administrative leadership, initiative, and creativity in policy formulation, good human relations, and positive managerial attributes.
- The Provost is the Chief Executive of the College and is charged with the responsibility of day-to-day management and operations of the College.
- The successful candidate will be expected to provide the required academic, administrative, and professional leadership for the College in executing the broad policies laid down by the Governing Council for the achievement of the objectives for which the institution was established.
Among others, some specific duties of the Provost include the following:
- Being the Chief academic, administrative, and accounting offIcer of the College.
- Being the Chairman of the Academic Board that directs and oversees academic activities of the College.
- Being member of the Governing Council of the College in charge of providing periodic reports on the progress of the College in terms of personnel, finances, and infrastructure and ensuring that the decisions of Council are carried out promptly.
- Being responsible for approving and authorizing all payments and expenditure of the College in accordance with the financial regulations, treasury circulars, and Governing Council’s decision/directives under sound financial discipline and management.
- Being responsible for ensuring that meetings of Council and its committees are serviced.
- Being the person to foster good rapport with relevant organs of the Federal Ministry of Education, National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) and other professional bodies that would lead to the ultimate attainment by the College of the status of a Centre of Excellence.
- Candidate should possess a Doctorate Degree from a recognized University in a field relevant to at least one programme in the College. However for ours which is a Technical College of Education, qualifications must be in the area of Sciences or Vocational or Technical Education.
- He/she should be a registered and active member of a professional association in the field of Education.
- The possession of a professional teaching qualification, a minimum of Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) or Post- Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), is MANDATORY.
- Registration as a professional teacher with TRCN is also mandatory.
- Candidate must not be above sixty (60) years of age at the time of taking up the appointment.
- Candidate must possess a minimum of fifteen (15) years post qualification teaching/research experience in an institution of higher learning; and in addition must have held a senior teaching/research and top administrative post in an institution of higher learning as evidence of ability to manage human and material resources.
- Candidate must show evidence of good track record in a result-oriented research reaching high national and international status in his/her research achievements, as evident in scholarly publications.
- Candidate must be a Chief Lecturer with at least five (5) years cognate experience.
- Candidate must be of good conduct and character; possess a sense of discipline, dedication, drive and resourcefulness; and be able to command the respect and loyalty of the members of staff and students of the College.
- He/she must be somebody who is not likely to foster personal,social, ethnic, political, religious,and other sectional interests.
- Candidate must be proficient in ICT packages and capacities.
- Evidence of community service both at local and national levels.
- Candidate must be a man/woman of vision, a goal getter, and one that can produce and execute a strategic plan for the College.
Terms of Appointment
- The appointment is for a period of four (4) years in the first instance, but may be eligible for re-appointment for a second and final term of four (4) years based on satisfactory performance.
- The salary/remunerations are as contained in the Condition of Service for Provosts of Federal Colleges of Education in Nigeria, and may be determined by Government policies from time to time.
Application Closing Date
22nd January, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send submit twenty (20) copies of their Applications with up-to-date Curriculum Vitae which must include the following:
- Full Names, Surname underlined.
- Marital Status and Number of Children, indicating the age of each.
- Date and Place of Birth, Local Government Area, State or Origin.
- Current Post Address and Permanent Home Address.
- Educational Institutions Attended with Dates.
- Academic and Professional Qualifications and Distinctions with Dates.
- Membership of Professional Association/Bodies.
- Work Experience in chronological sequence.
- Present Employer, Status and Salary
- Extracurricular activities.
- Publications in Standard APA format.
- Names and Addresses of three (3) Referees, one of whom must be the Present Employer.
Applications with Photocopies of Credentials and other supporting documents should be addressed and forwarded to:
Federal College of Education (Technical),
Note: Candidates are required to request their referees to send confidential reports on them to the same address as above before the closing date.