Programme Coordinator at the African Development Bank (AfDB)
African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093753
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are:
- To develop policy and strategy;
- To provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions;
- To develop new financing instruments;
- To act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department
- The Climate Change and Green Growth Department has broad objectives of:
- Mainstreaming climate change and green growth into Bank’s High 5s’ operations;
- Implementing the Bank’s climate change interventions through the Bank’s Climate Change Action Plan and the Bank’s Green Growth Framework;
- Managing access to the growing number of sources of Green and Climate Finance for all Operational Vice Presidencies within the Bank;
- Driving towards achieving universal energy access through the greenest solutions possible; and
- Leading all efforts within the Bank focused on minimizing and reversing the effects of Climate Change on the continent.
- The Department consists of two divisions, Climate and Green Growth Division, and Climate Finance Division.
The Hiring Division
- The Climate and Green Growth Division is responsible for ensuring that all efforts within the Bank are focused on minimizing and reversing the effects of Climate Change on the continent, including advising Regional Member Countries on climate and green growth policies and strategies, mainstreaming climate change and green growth in Bank-wide implementation activities and providing support to the New Deal on Energy Flagships to meet their objectives.
- The Programme Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that all PECG operations are delivered on time and that the Bank’s commitments to strategic climate change partnerships, such as the Multilateral Development Banks (MDB) Climate Finance Group, the Nairobi Framework Partnerships, etc. are met.
- More specifically, the Programme Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that the Director’s commitments and engagements are met.
The position has the following objectives:
- The job holder will be responsible for overall coordination of the Climate Change and Green Growth Department work programme and will also be responsible for delivering some technical advisory services.
- The incumbent will also help in coordinating the Director’s front office, sector departments’, as well as climate-related work handled by the 5 hubs.
Under the overall supervision and general guidance of the Director, Climate Change and Green Growth, the Programme Coordinator will perform the following:
- Supervise and guide the implementation of the complex work programme, ensure quality delivery, strategic alignment and resource optimization;
- Report to the Director on work programme progress and identify critical areas that deserve specific support and provide recommendations as appropriate;
- Liaising with the two directorate’s divisions, the Bank’s five regional hubs, and other key stakeholder to ensure coherence and complementarity across activities;
- Assist in policy discussions with Regional Member Countries (RMCs) officials and in raising external funding from Bank’s partners;
- Work on existing initiatives as well as in the establishment of new initiatives with outside parties;
- Promote the use of the full range of Bank’s instruments in order to crowd-in external public and private financing (including external funding channeled by the Bank);
- Ensure follow up/Draft Director’s briefing materials i.e. talking points, speeches, media program etc;
- Build relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials;
- Representing the complex at Bank and external events to enhance collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Serve as the Secretary to the Climate Change Coordination Committee
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Environment, Climate, Finance, Economics or other related disciplines;
- 6 years of relevant experience in managing climate change and/or green growth initiatives;
- Working experience with other development institutions, investment banks, public administration;
- 6 years of relevant practical working experience in the development field; including in climate change and green growth areas, at least 3 of which must be with an MDB;
- Familiarity with the climate change operations of other MDBs and International Finance Institutions;
- Experience/knowledge of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change;
- Strong familiarity with the development and implementation of climate change and green growth policies and strategies;
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Familiarity with the MDB’s procurement and financial management rules is desirable;
- Investment transaction experience in the climate change and green growth area is desirable;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills, and demonstrated capacity to work with a wide range of stakeholders (financial institutions, businesses, international organizations, etc.)
- Ability to collaborate and to successfully communicate with different stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, analytical, coordination and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Bank policies; strategies; guidelines and procedures;
- Proven skills in communication as the coordination activities require regular contacts with high level partners inside and outside the bank;
- Proven skills in designing and implementing climate change and green growth projects
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on climate change and green growth projects and programs
- Results management
- String drafting ability required;
- Ability to summarize strategic documents and highlight main ideas.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP and Bank-Wide Program Processing Schedule (BPPS) is desirable.
Application Closing Date
12th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online