Principal Power Engineer at the African Development Bank Group
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Power Engineer
Position N°: 50065416
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery’ is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice Presidency will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional
- Member Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department
- The functional relationships of the job reside with the Directorate in charge of Power Systems Development including the “Power Utilities” Division which supports the Bank’s Regional Member Countries, Utilities, Regional Economic Communities, Power Pools, Regulators and other stakeholders to develop and improve their power systems for both sovereign operations (SO) and non-sovereign operations (NSO).
- The Hiring Department shall be the East Region (RDGE) – Directorate in charge of Power Systems Development.
- The Power Engineer will ensure the technical strength of the Bank’s activities in the support of transactions linked to investments in the electricity sector.
- He/She will provide deep sectoral expertise related to the planning, development, structuring and financing of national and regional power systems, including power generation, transmission and distribution / retail.
- The job contributes to the delivery of flagships as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Operations Manager – Power (RDGE.1), the Principal Power Engineer will perform the following:
Business Development and Client Management:
- As per the guidelines of the New Deal on Energy for Africa, contribute towards developing a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities through leading business development missions, anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, especially regional IPP developers and sponsors, utilities, service providers, banks, multilateral partners, regulators and government officials to develop and execute specific investment opportunities;
- Have a thorough understanding of the power and utilities industry, including markets, major contractors / operators and technologies and provide advice to PEVP team members in the regional hubs concerning the processing of transactions linked to IPP / PPP investments.
Project Finance Tasks:
- Contribute to the delivery of flagships as required to ensure delivery of the New Deal on Energy objectives;
- Act as in-house advisor to investment staff in appraising new private sector proposals for investments in the power sector.
- Liaise with client’s technical staff, project engineers and lenders’ engineers and participate in due diligence missions and other project meetings, as necessary.
- Review major contracts, including PPA, EPC, FSA, O&M, GCA, and other project agreements and advise on alignment of performance obligations; and adequacy of buffers, procurement mode and risk allocation.
- Assess investment programs and project capital costs, and advise on value for money.
- Provide financial analysts with key performance and expenditure (operational and capital) assumptions and scenarios; for incorporation in financial models.
- Assist in the supervision of African Development Bank’s portfolio of power sector investments, review of relevant M&E Reports and field inspections as necessary; and in resolving operational weaknesses.
- Hire and supervise specialized engineering agencies as necessary.
- Assist with the development of new power projects, particularly those using renewable energy.
- Support and provide advice on utility performance management systems.
- Develop suitable industry knowledge and performance benchmarks to share within African Development Bank and with external clients.
- Manage an array of projects within the portfolio of the Bank’s investments within the area of responsibility.
- Provide effective periodic reports to Management on the disposition of the portfolio under management.
- Identify synergies and propose interventions that promote the sustained feasibility of the projects under management.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent.
- Have a minimum of six (06) years of relevant professional experience in the power sector projects development and implementation, power utility operations and power sector planning.
- Broad range of responsibilities within the industry in several of the following areas: Thermal generation, hydro generation, systems planning, distribution operations, commercial operations, transmission, tariff setting, renewable generation, power plant construction and environmental compliance.
- Up-to-date knowledge of capital costs and operating parameters of diverse generation technologies and T&D networks.
- Experience in Africa and emerging economies.
- Professional engineer with advanced degree.
- Significant work experience in the private sector.
- Experience as Owner’s or Lenders’ engineer will be a plus.
- Experience with regional power pools / projects will be a plus.
- Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of project sponsors, government and donor agencies on issues relating to aid coordination, as well as with the private sector;
- Proven ability to work within a team of professional staff, and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change
- Competencies for Business Development, Project Origination, and portfolio Management
- Client orientation
- Team working and relationship management.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and knowledge of SAP.
Application Closing Date
29th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online