Political Advisor at the British High Commission
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Political Advisor
Ref No: 03/18 ABJ
Grade: C4 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Start Date: 30th March, 2018.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Political
Main purpose of job
- The Senior Political Advisor (SPA) plays a key role in the High Commission’s Political team, providing political context to help deliver HMG’s priorities in the area of internal and external politics, the security situation and elections.
- In the runup to elections in 2019, the SPA will build and maintain an excellent network of contacts, identify opportunities for UK engagement and support the political engagement of teams across the High Commission.
- The officer will provide a leading role in HMG’s election monitoring activity, particularly covering the High Commission’s engagement with relevant Nigerian government institutions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Political analysis and contact building (50%):
- Build and maintain an excellent network of contacts with the Nigeria Government, political parties and the international community across the range of issues in order to fulfil the High Commission’s objectives.
- Attend meetings and events with the Nigerian Government and international community, including covering EU working groups to provide reporting across the High Commission.
- Organise and report meetings for the High Commissioner and support wider political team with politicians, commentators and political experts.
- Gather and help analyse information on political developments to help the political team provide relevant policy advice to the HMG in Nigeria and London.
- Political Reporting (30%):
- Provide timely and concise background briefing to High Commission and London colleagues on political developments. Follow closely the campaigns for the 2019 elections.
- Provide background research to support political team’s analysis of highprofile political issues, and support drafting of regular political roundups.
- Research to help draft responses to questions from UK parliamentarians.
- Political Advocacy (15%):
- Support political work around different HMG projects to increase their effectiveness.
- Provide organisational support for conferences, meetings, events, and trips (for example during visits of Ministers from the UK) to further HMG objectives.
- The officer will play a leading role in delivering HMG election monitoring and advising the wider international community.
- Learning and Development (5%)
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree, (or in certain circumstances Bachelors) or higher in: Government, Political Science, Economics, International Relations, Law or related fields.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and persuasion skills.
- A minimum of two years of relevant professional activity in international organisations, nongovernmental organisations or the public sector.
- Experience in building and managing relationships with government officials, international organisations, NGOs and businesses.
- A strong understanding of the government, the political agenda and international interest in Nigeria.
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering
Starting monthly salary
NGN 812, 470 – NGN 1,022,438 (based on experience)
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- The jobholder will be encouraged to take forward training opportunities. These include:
- International Policy Skills for Policy Officers;
- Programme and project management;
- Specific modules of the FCO’s Diplomatic Academy
- There will be a requirement to travel within country and develop representational skills.
26th March, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online