Nutrition Supervisor at COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Supervisor
Scope of the Vacancy
- The position of the nutrition supervisor will be based in various locations of Jakusko.
- He/she will be in charge of building the capacity of the Ministry of Health staffs (all levels) and Community mobilizers/volunteers attached to the health facilities who attend the OTP and IYCF beneficiaries.
- This position also requires that the supervisor link the health facility staffs and their work with the mother support groups and community mobilization activities in the catchment area of the health facility.
- The position of nutrition supervisor is a key role within the program, requiring the necessary activities outlined in the job description to be fulfilled.
- It is expected that the person successful for the role will have the ability to improve and develop the functions of the position within the organization.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Nutrition Project Manager and in collaboration with the Project Managers, Field Coordinators, and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, she/he will:
- Assure that the CMAM protocol in line with the Federal Ministry of Health of Nigeria CMAM guidelines is strictly followed by all health facilities under their responsibility.
- Identify issues/problems and solutions in the health facilities and catchment population and adequately implement solutions in order to resolve problems. If it is out of the capacity of the job description of the nutrition supervisor to resolve issues or problems, then clearly and in a timely fashion present issues/problems to Nutrition program manager and the National Primary health care staff for further action.
- Work with the health facility in charges, health staffs and CVs attached to the health facility to identify properly and on time when the beneficiaries who must be transferred from the OTP to the stabilization centre or any major medical site for treatment.
- Good and continuous communication with the rest of the MoH and COOPI team in order to organize transfers from the different branches of the programme. Assure that the transfers are actually well done.
- Build the capacity of the health staffs and CVs attached to the health facility to perform the appetite test for each potential OTP beneficiary and be sure that after the admission day the result must be always “good”.
- Build the capacity of the health facility in charge to fill in properly reporting formats and submit monthly statistics report per site.
- Before submitting the report cross checks all the data with the health facility staffs to assure no mistakes are made.
- Assist the health facility in charge to submit the report according to the deadline fixed by the NPHC Nutrition focal point and nutrition program manager every month.
- Good communication with the line manager and nutrition focal point in terms of problems identified or anything affecting the beneficiaries and/or the programme.
- Participate in writing the monthly report with information on food security, WASH or security information at the community if need and/or requested since the contact with the community will be continuous.
- Facilitate the link between the health facility staffs, nutrition staff and community volunteers connected to the health facility and the community
- In collaboration with the Assistant Project Nutrition Manager and the logistics officer follow-up beneficiary food provision.
- Support the health staff in severe malnutrition case management according to national guidelines.
- Assist the nursing staff in the implementation of CMAM/IYCF activities within the SC and ensure the management of the commodities (food, drugs and equipment) is done professionally.
- Participate in the conduction of nutrition research studies, best practice documentation, publication, surveys and campaigns
- Ensure strict adherence to breast milk substitute guidelines for beneficiaries.
- Participate in program strategic planning and roll-out of new program areas in liaison with the other sectors within COOPI key stakeholders.
- Improve the provision of quality nutrition counselling and education in the health facilities and other key contact points in the health programme.
- Participate in the development and use developed activity work plans based on the program annual work plan.
- Enhance integration of nutrition specific with other nutrition sensitive programs.
- Attend regular meetings with facility staff and share results with Assistant Nutrition Project Manager
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Degree in Nursing or Nutrition or Public Health
- Organization, initiative, tidiness, honesty and courtesy.
- Good communication skills and able to work in a team
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Proven experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill preferred
- Be proficient in statistics and other software (Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Have excellent team, budget, project management and representation competencies
Desired Competencies / Skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri)
Application Closing Date
24th October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (CV (max 3 pages), Cover Letter (max 1 page), Minimum three qualified reference contacts) to: firstname.lastname@example.org specifying in the e-mail subject: “Nutrition Supervisor”.