Nutrition Assistant at COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Scope of the Vacancy
- The Nutrition Assistants will be responsible for planning and implementation of nutrition and hygiene education activities in COOPI’s food security and nutrition operation area.
- They will ensure comprehensive mobilisation of the community for nutrition screening of children under five, forming and monitoring care support groups, IYCF training.
- She/he is in charge of nutrition education, counselling, promotion of IYCF and hygiene practices (washing, IYCF practices, exclusive breastfeeding, and complementary feeding) sensitization at the SC.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Nutrition Project Manager and in collaboration with the Project Managers, Field Coordinators, and other collaborators of the projects and of the Base, they will:
- Perform weight, height and MUAC measurements and check for presence of oedema of the beneficiaries in line with the training received. Record the measurements accurately on the beneficiary’s card.
- Mix and distribute therapeutic milk according to protocols. Ensure that any remaining milk is stored safely and not used past expiry
- Coordinate and collaborate with medical/nutrition team on implementing follow-up of referred SAM cases. Follow up with the new admission of malnourished children.
- Ensure all equipment is in good working order.
- Ensure inpatient facility is cleaned daily, including toilet and cooking areas.
- Report stock shortages to Inpatient Nurse
- Ensure liaison with existing community structures, (groups and individuals, women groups, religious leaders where possible.
- Work closely within community structures to follow up on implementation of CMAM activities with support from the Nutrition Nurse.
- Create awareness and sensitize the community on CMAM practices, malnutrition, and the causes of malnutrition and treatment of malnutrition.
- Ensure timely submission of weekly reports, monthly reports and MUAC screening data & reports to nutrition nurses for compilation.
- Submit weekly nutrition and health report to the Nutrition nurse for onward sharing with the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Carry out the day-to-day IYCF and Hygiene Promotion activities in the SC
- Provide counselling on nutrition (IYCF) and hygiene practices to beneficiaries in the SC
- Follow referrals of all severely malnourished children to the OTP centres
- Keep defaulter tracing for malnourished children
- Report any problems in a timely manner to the Nutrition nurse or the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
- Participate in the field work of the nutrition survey (impact assessment)
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and assigned by his/her supervisor.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Nutrition and Health qualifications (Diploma/degree)
- Share the humanitarian mission of the organization
- Good communication skills
- Ability to communicate with vulnerable populations
- Proven experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Accuracy and promptness in performing duties
- English writing and speaking skill preferred
- Be proficient in statistics and other software (Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Have the capacity to be flexible and supervise and coach health workers.
- Have the ability and willingness to frequently travel to villages and stay at the field.
Desired Competencies / Skills
- Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive
- Previous experience in similar roles in a humanitarian set up
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local context
- Knowledge of the local language (Hausa/Kanuri)
Application Closing Date
24th October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (CV (max 3 pages), Cover Letter (max 1 page), Minimum three qualified reference contacts) to: email@example.com specifying in the e-mail subject: “Nutrition Assistant”