National Nutrition Consultant, NO-C At The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
National Nutrition Consultant, NO-C
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience5 years
- Job FieldMedical / Health NGO/Non-Profit
Job Number: 507445
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of Assignment
- The main purpose of the assignment is to systematically collect and analyze benchmarking data before the intervention in Nangere and Shani, which will be used to measure the progress of the pilot activities during the course of implementation, and provide information which can be used to explain variance in different intervention modalities which include WASH, Education, Health and Nutrition, social protection, Food security and Livelihoods where beneficiaries receive complete package or partial packages.
- Two INP LGAs (one in Borno and one in Yobe) will also be selected to serve as the counterfactual or control for the pilot LGAs.
Specific Project Objective to which the Consultancy is created:
- To finalize the methodology and tools to be used for the baseline survey; collect baseline data which will be used as benchmark for measuring the performance of the multisectoral pilot phase of the project and to establish or validate the indicator targets described in the project’s logical framework
Major Tasks to be accomplished
Estimated time required to complete tasks. Attach additional sheets, if necessary, to describe assignments:
- The consultant in collaboration with National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) is expected to define a methodology which will utilize a mixed-methods approach for the baseline survey for multisectoral pilots which will be in Nangere and Shani LGAs. The study design will have special focus on health and nutrition with anthropometry and mortality indicators being the primary indicators of the study.
- The consultant will use an integrated approach in developing data collection tools and instruments incorporating Education, WASH, FSL and social protection components bearing in mind the unique differences in the pilot package to be delivered in the respective pilot LGAs. As the baseline needs to ascertain variances in beneficiaries who receive partial or complete package, the design of the baseline will adopt quasi experimental design to make a comparative analysis of these different modalities. The sampling design to be adopted will also take into cognizance the approach but a multi stage cluster sampling of randomly selected clusters will be preferred. This is a brief overview of the assignment and is by no means exhaustive; further information will be provided to the consultant on engagement.
End Product: (e.g. final report, article, document, etc)
- Finalized baseline survey methodology and tools
- Detailed proposal, work plan and budget including data analysis plan
- Deployment of paper based questionnaire to electronic platform (ODK)
- Training Package for the baseline data collection
- Raw baseline data – Qualitative and Quantitative
- Cleaned baseline data – Qualitative and Quantitative
- Draft report with PowerPoint slides of key results of the survey
- Detailed report and a 2 – pager summary baseline report
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required
- Education: Advanced University Degree in Health, Nutrition, Public Health, Epidemiology, Economics, Food Security, Statistics or and related field of study.
- Demonstrated 5 years’ experience in conducting Formative, Interim and Summative evaluations
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation and knowledge management procedures
- Knowledge and experience in application of SMART methodology
- Experience working in conflict environment
- Experience in application of Randomized Control Trial or Quasi Experimental Study design will be an added advantage
- Demonstrable knowledge and use of statistical software for data analysis
- Fluency in English (verbal and written); knowledge of Hausa and/or Kanuri language is highly desirable.
Estimated time of consultancy:
- The consultancy is expected to take a period of 3 months beginning from October 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply