National Democratic Institute For International Affairs (NDI) Recruitment For A Graduate Sub-Grants Assistant
The Nigeria office of National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks to hire a Sub-Grants Assistant for its Abuja office. NDI is a non-profit, non-partisan, non-governmental organization with headquarters in Washington D.C. Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its partners worldwide have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government. In Nigeria, NDI currently operates with funding from USAID and UK DFID.
Job Title: Sub-Grants Assistant
Reports to: Senior Sub-Grants Officer
Duty Station: Abuja
Under the guidance of a Senior Sub-Grants Officer and the Director of Finance and Administration, the Sub-Grants Assistant will administer sub-grant policies and procedures, ensure that sub-grantees follow regulations of NDI’s donors, and manage the terms and conditions of sub-grant agreements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct sub-grantee pre-award assessments during selection processes, with supervision of the Senior Sub-Grants Officer;
- Evaluate proposals, budgets and budget notes in collaboration with program staff;
- Perform first-level review of monthly financial reports and supporting documents;
- Examine sub-grant transactions and receipts to ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations;
- Regularly track program expenditures against sub-grant budgets;
- Work to ensure that all partners follow NDI sub-grant policies and procedures and that all grants are spent appropriately as budgeted;
- Maintain regular and close contact with partners to strengthen capacity, and preempt or identify sub-grant problems;
- Provide training to sub-grant partners on grant management and financial procedures and provide mentoring on best practices;
- Conduct site visits, as assigned, to ensure compliance with financial procedures and sub-grant compliance; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related business field.
- Two or more years of work experience preferably in auditing, performing transaction tests, and finance and/or grants management.
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures.
- Competence with Excel and Word and with accounting software packages such as Quicken, QuickBooks.
- Working knowledge of Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Drive is preferred.
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations in Nigeria, which are often remote and difficult to reach.
How To Apply:
Please send your most recent CV, a cover letter, and contact details of three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15, 2017. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and the position could be filled before the closing date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, race, sexual orientation or any other personal characteristic.