MRC Unit The Gambia Recent Job Vacancies [2 Positions]
MRC Unit The Gambia is the leading research centre in sub-Saharan Africa and has been carrying out internationally competitive research into tropical medicine for over 70 years. Our current research agenda focuses on three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Nutrition; Vaccines & Immunity. Looking towards the future, we are aiming to push forward with a West Africa expansion strategy with new and challenging areas, reflecting changes in national and global health priorities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Manager
Location: Faraja, Gambia
Duration: The appointment is up to 2 years and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Grade: 3, 28 Points
- Data management is a vital component of the scientific discovery process, and the unit views data management accordingly. With the advancement of technology, data management has become the epicentre for successful organisations due to the critical role it plays in business intelligence, informing of policies, and much more.
Purpose of Job
- The post-holder will be based at MRC Fajara and S/he will be responsible for all data management aspects of the project according to the Unit’s data management procedures.
- The post-holder will be working closely with both programme-based staff and data management staff. S/he will develop, organise and implement quality control and cleaning processes of the project database for use in all four settings requiring extensive liaison and tactful communication with field personnel as well as other project staff.
- The post-holder will work with the project staff to design data collection tools, monitor the quality of collected data, and organise the data management process. This will involve responsibility for the development, testing and passing as fit for purpose of study data collection instruments. These will include version control implementation.
- The post-holder will oversee the distribution, reception, storage and retrieval of data collection instruments, and all aspects of data management of the programme. S/he will work with project staff to ensure that the data are of high quality and are processed in a timely fashion.
- The post-holder will also work with Data Supervisors to agree on scheduling of data entry and verification / data downloads and verification.
- A good understanding of study procedures and field work is needed. Close attention to detail and efficient organisation will be required to monitor the cleaning process and follow all queries through to resolution or to designation as insoluble. This work will include involvement in the development and adherence to SOPs used by the Unit for data management procedures.
Study Documentation Development:
- Design, review, develop, maintain and update relevant CRFs, and study specific procedures (SSPs), keeping appropriate version control.
- Ensure all study documentation are in order and filed in a Project Master File (PMF) as per the department’s SOPs.
- Provide input during the design stage of CRFs (paper/electronic) with emphasis on the unit’s data coding standards.
- Advice on CRF design format with emphasis on logic of questions and ease of data processing.
- Development of the study Data Management Plan (DMP), maintenance of DMP throughout lifecycle of the study and ensures DMP is followed according to study design and requirements.
- In collaboration with the database developers create OpenClinica, REDCap, SQL server and/or Microsoft Access databases.
- Be responsible for data quality, by checking for validation and inconsistencies, raising and resolving of queries with the study team and keeping track of any paper audit trails.
- Be responsible for extracting and querying data from any of the above systems.
- Update CRFs and the related databases and variable lists (data dictionaries) when any modifications are made to data collection processes including version control procedures.
- Prepare statistical data summaries.
- Freeze and lock data as appropriate in time for statistical review, blinded interim quality review, and final database lock.
- Be responsible for completing all relevant and required metadata for all datasets generated and submit to the electronic data repository for archival.
Management and Training of Staff:
- Manage the printing of all study forms and their distribution to the relevant staff.
- Issue follow-up schedules for field teams, for longitudinal studies, ensuring all forms are returned for processing and produce summary descriptions of data on request and at meetings to see the trend in the study.
- Monitor the quality of work performed by each member of the team dealing with forms/data using the audit routines and performance report of data system (to be developed by the database developer) and resolve any problems of staff performance that are identified.
- Monitor the error rate of form completion by field workers and liaise with senior staff to resolve any problems that are identified.
- Training for data collection (eCRF & pCRF) and data entry staff and bespoke training for scientific staff.
Trial data Compliance:
- Assist PI’s in preparing reports for the Trial Monitors, ensuring that the forms requested are available on time, and are refilled properly following the completion of monitoring.
- Monitor all forms of data collection.
- Collaboration with clinical and laboratory staff to ensure optimal clinical data collection.
- Ensure all procedures are in accordance with SOPs, Good Clinical Practice, and ICH Guidelines where applicable.
- Undertake all work strictly following the relevant Safety Rules and Regulations as laid down in the MRC safety Manual
- The post-holder will be a full-time member of the MRC staff.
- The post holder will report to Mr Bai Lamin Dondeh, the Head of Data Management.
- The Unit Director is Professor Umberto D’Alessandro.
- The Director of Operations is Mr Joan Vivestomas.
- Appraisals are held at least annually.
Any other duties:
- To carry any other duties consistent with the remit and level of the post.
- B.Sc or equivalent in data processing, computer science or data management.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience and proficiency in data management – with preference given to data management for medical research
- Previous experience of dealing accurately and efficiently with large volumes of data from varied sources in multidisciplinary research projects.
- Excellent problem solving skills, analytical skills, and judgement
- Working knowledge of Good Clinical Practices (GCP), Clinical Research, Clinical trial process and related regulatory requirements and terminology
- Working knowledge of Clinical database applications
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience of training and supervising staff
- Good working knowledge of database management software (MS Access essential and SQL Server preferred).
- Systematic approach and attention to detail.
- The ability to conduct study activities according to the protocols.
- The ability to work co-operatively in a team.
- Understanding of the confidential nature of the work.
- Previous experience working in a research / clinical lab field
- Experience in supporting electronic data capture processes
- Experience in using a Clinical Data Management System.
The salary will be in grade 3, 28 Points on MRCG at LSHTM pay scale.
Job Title: Head of Biomedical Engineering
Grade: Grade 2, 37 Points.
- The post-holder will be accountable to the Head of Laboratory Management, Dr Davis Nwakanma.
- The Biomedical Engineering Department at the MRC is fully responsible for the management and in-house maintenance of over 1,700 clinical and laboratory biomedical technologies, with a total asset value of over £4 million.
- The program’s team of biomedical engineering technologists has been factory service trained on sophisticated technologies including flow cytometry, diagnostic imaging, automated chemistry and haematology analysers, safety cabinet certification, etc.
Purpose of the Job
- The post-holder will ensure that MRC the Gambia has an effective biomedical technology management program for all laboratory and clinical equipment at all field stations and project sites.
- The post-holder will lead capacity development of biomedical technology management and maintenance programs with approved West African research partners.
The post-holder will have the following responsibilities during their contract term:
Maintain and improve current biomedical engineering services for the Unit’s clinical service, research platform and external projects:
- Consult and plan pre-technology purchase for the laboratory, clinic, projects, and Grants Office as well as provide support to the Capital Equipment Committee towards implementation of the Unit’s equipment programme.
- Manage service contracts and service support agreements
- Manage service and training relationships with vendors and consultants
- Manage the program’s technical services (incoming inspection, installation and commissioning, preventive and corrective maintenance, inventory and inspection, decommissioning, retirement and donation)
- Supervise the program’s technologists to deliver technical services and manage workshop and facilities themselves
- Plan and manage technical and non-technical training for the program’s technologists to ensure future sustainability
- Supervise use of the equipment management database
- Improve communication between the biomedical engineering program and service users
- Manage the donation of suitable retired technologies to the Gambian health and research institutions
- Manage the biomedical engineering program budget
- Work with senior laboratory and clinical staff to further standardise laboratory and clinical technologies
Improve biomedical engineering process quality:
- Continue to work towards meeting the biomedical equipment requirements of Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and ISO 15189.
- Continue to improve biomedical engineering processes to meet the MHRA’s DB 2006 (05) ‘Managing Medical Devices’ guidance document standard
- Lead continued process improvement plan for biomedical engineering service delivery
- Ensure biomedical engineering policy and standard operating procedures (SOPs) are fully implemented and reviewed annually
- Write and implement any additional biomedical engineering documentation as required
- Develop and implement quality control activities for the equipment management database
- Supervise senior technologists to develop competency assessments for all supported biomedical technologies that do not require factory service training
- Assist in any audits, monitoring visits and assessments as required
- Coordinate external biomedical engineering peer audit (against MHRA’s DB 2006 (05) or another appropriate biomedical engineering best practice standard) two years after taking up the post.
Expand biomedical engineering’s biomedical technology maintenance and management model to approved partners in West Africa. This will include (a) service delivery for supportable technologies at partner institutions that will expand biomedical engineering into a business unit and (b) training for approved candidates at partner institutions in biomedical engineering:
- Assess baseline equipment maintenance and management capacity at approved partner institutions.
- Post assessment, to determine possible supportable technologies at partner institutions and manage service relationship.
- Manage growth targets for the service delivery program and balance them with post requirements outlined in first 2 sentence(s) above.
- Identify possible training candidates at partner institutions and develop partner-specific training programs and oversee their training in the biomedical engineering workshop.
- Host a health technology management workshop for equipment management trainees at the Unit.
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation framework for capacity building programs.
- Document and publish unique solutions and lessons developed through this development effort.
- The post-holder is a full-time member of MRC staff.
- The post-holder will report to the Head of Laboratory Management, Dr Davis Nwakanma.
- The Director of Operations is Mr Joan Vives Tomas.
- The Unit Director is Professor Umberto D’Alessandro.
- Appraisals are held at least annually.
Length of appointment:
- The appointment is up to 31st March 2021 initially and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Any other duties:
- To carry out any other duties consistent with the remit and level of the post.
- B.Sc/M.Sc in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other suitable engineering graduate degree from an accredited institute
- Membership in a suitable Professional Institution (IEEE, IET, ACCE, etc.)
- Post-graduate training in health technology management (HTM) preferred
- Minimum of three years experience managing biomedical technology and staff at health and/or research facilities.
- Demonstrated experience working in a managerial position providing biomedical engineering support services to a medium-sized organisation.
- Technical knowledge of laboratory and clinical technologies (e.g., flow cytometers, genetics technology, diagnostic imaging equipment, chemistry and haematology analysers, etc.)
- Training and/or knowledge in capacity and policy development related to technology management in the developing world.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated budgetary and cost management skills.
- Demonstrated change management skills.
- Keenness to train and impart knowledge.
- Excellent organisational and staff management skills.
- Experience of working with people from different disciplines and cultures.
- Willingness to travel and stay at the upcountry field stations, West African and other locations on a regular basis.
- Professional engineering designation or ability to acquire during the post-holders contract.
- Experience of working with a cross-cultural range of staff and developing training plans and strategies to meet their unique capacity development needs.
- The appointment is up to 31st March 2021 and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
- An attractive salary will be paid in MRCG’s Grade 2, 37 Points at a minimum take home pay of 94, 249 Dalasi per month. This is equivalent to $2, 005 per month using the prevailing USD/Dalasi exchange rate. Please note the salary will be paid in Dalasi and the USD/Dalasi exchange rate is only given as a guide using the prevailing exchange rate.
- For displaced staff the package will include, rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowances for dependents, contribution to school fees for children and shipment of personal effects.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download and complete the MRCG Job Application Form and send to: email@example.com
Click here to download the MRCG Job Application (MS Word)
Application Deadline 31st July, 2018.
- MRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.