Mercy Corps New Job Recruitment
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Program Officer
Location: Ngala, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, GAC and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Water, Hygiene and Sanitation Officer is responsible for both the soft and hardware components of the sanitation infrastructure activities of the WASH program in targeted implementation area.
- The Water, Hygiene and Sanitation officer will assist in supervision of the all works related to implementing infrastructure improvement; and provide input on monitoring and evaluation of the project.
Essential Job Functions
- Under the guidance of Senior Project Officer, supervise the implementation of the program in the field, and provide input into design and improvement of WASH infrastructure in targeted areas.
- Organize and supervise processes like borehole drilling, latrine construction and well constructions at the program site level including those contracted to private companies. Supervises water treatment activities in general, at the program site level and makes sure that the consumables are timely replenished
- Ensures inclusion of protection principles like gender segregation, adaptation to meet the gender-specific and disablement needs, in the design and implementation of the program.
- Perform regular progress visits of the projects sites, and final inspection of completed water and sanitation infrastructure projects, and ensure that technical, safety and environmental standards have been met.
- Provide regular capacity building and mentoring to Community Sanitation Brigades and WASHCOMMs on water and sanitation issues, and monitor their evolution.
- Perform the planning of and organize and ensure quality performance of- monitoring of WASH projects.
- Ensure and promote appropriate health messages related to water, sanitation and hygiene behaviors in targeted communities. This includes promoting community involvement and ownership in all water and sanitation activities and infrastructure projects
- Assist the SPO in preparation of project designs, estimates and drawings as required, including a list of materials & labor, technical specifications needed, contract documents and project implementation plans.
- Provide advice on the official handing over of projects to communities/beneficiaries.
- Security savvy, s/he Complies to -and sets the good example for the respect of- security measures and regulations in place.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- WASH Program Assistants
- Reports Directly To: WASH Senior Programme Officer
- Works Directly With: Food Distribution/NFI, Shelter, Protection, Finance, Program and Operation Teams
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or higher in Water and/or Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, Public Health or other relevant background and/or relevant experience in water and sanitation that related to slum upgrading program.
- Multi-tasking, coordination, organization, prioritization skills essential. Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Highly-developed computers skills, with strong familiarity with MS Office, Power point, Outlook, Excel, Word, and infrastructure design software
- 3-4+ years in community based water and sanitation project preferably in urban context
- Experience in water supply systems: boreholes, pumping, basic hydraulics, etc.
- Fluency in both verbal and written English highly preferred. Fluency in Kanuri is required
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with team members required. Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- The successful candidate will combine curiosity and strong technical skills, experience in WASH programs, and a want-to-do attitude.
- S/he will be an effective communicator, with dedication towards community work, commitment to work long hours in the field conditions with limited access to resources. S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work with limited direct supervision.
- Ideally s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts, including remote management and capacity development.
- S/he will be willing to conduct several days-long field travels and work in ethnically and culturally diversified and fast growing team
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Drop off application in a sealed envelope with the position boldly written to:
Mercy Corps Nigeria,
Plot 119, NUJ Street,
New GRA Bama Road,
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Application Deadline: 28th September, 2017.