Medical Director at an International NGO – Management Alternatives Limited
Management Alternatives Limited – Our client, is an international not for profit NGO, with its Headquarters based in Los Angeles, California. It is registered in Nigeria as an organization focused on AIDS Care Prevention and Advocacy. The organization works in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health to provide free HIV/AIDS services; HIV prevention and treatment (ART), capacity building and advocacy in resource constrained settings. They currently operate in 6 states including; Benue, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nasarawa, Kogi, Cross River, Anambra and supports 62 clinic sites country wide.
To further enhance its service provision and maintain it high standards of quality healthcare, the organization is seeking to recruit suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Director
Job Location: Abuja
Job Classification: Full time
Reports to: Country Program Director
- Under the supervision of the Country Program Director, the Medical Director is tasked with overseeing all medical activities across all AHF-Nigeria supported facilities, covering all comprehensive sites supported by AHF in Nigeria, ensuring delivery of high quality standard of care for all patients through training, staff mentorship, supervision and adherence to SOPs and guidelines.
- S/He is the primary person responsible for the coordination, implementation, and overall supervision of health operations of the project in Nigeria.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management:
- He/she oversees AHF medical operations in Nigeria and supports theCountry Program Director to efficiently and effectively deliver quality clinical services in the country.
- Leads and represents AHF in all stakeholder’s meetings and ensures a follow through of instituted policies through proper accountability
- Provides technical support to the Treatment program and work with the Prevention lead to ensures linkage to treatment and care program through well-established processes of patient linkages and service integration
- Attends key technical partners’ meetings and provides feedback to management.
- Monitors and Leads the development of treatment work plans for all sites.
- He/she participates in staff need assessment, interviewing, and induction of new hired staff.
- He/she participates in setting health/clinical performance targets and staff appraisal and addressing concerns of employees under his/her supervision.
- Supports the operations of the programs in the country to ensure efficient service delivery in each site/program area
- Ensures that standard quality of clinical services is delivered at all AHF supported sites.
- Provides periodic comprehensive support supervision reports, adhering to the tools provided by AHF
- Promotes the implementation of standard operating procedures for all activities relating to good clinical practice and ensures functional QI teams are in existence at site levels
- Strengthens and ensures TB/HIV, PMTCT, ART and other integrated services are delivered in an integrated service delivery model.
- Ensures effective patient flow in all sites, especially those with high volume of patients and coordinate periodic operations research to monitor performance and assure improved quality.
- Works with medical team to identify early warning resistance indicators and intervention strategies
- Remains updated on current trends and standards in clinical management of HIV/AIDS and related illnesses
- Participates in the elaboration/monitoring of annual targets and ensure that they are achieved in all regional sites
- S/He is the point person for channeling and management of difficult cases
- Provides technical leadership and mentorship to doctors, nurses, laboratory scientists, pharmacist working in the different facilities in the country to ensure continuous growth and learning
- Works with the program pharmacist to ensure that pharmacy operations are in accordance with good pharmacy practices
- Identifies and promotes operational research at country level and builds capacity among the staff in case presentations and elaboration of scientific papers
- Provides supervisory functions over all health administrative arms of the organization in country to ensure compliance to set out guidelines
Education, Knowledge, Skill, and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the educational qualification, knowledge, skill, and experience required:
- Must be a Medical Doctor from a recognized institution. Additional qualification in Health systems management, public health or family medicine will be an added advantage
- Minimum of ten years medical/health service experience required with a sound knowledge of basic medical disciplines to allow for accurate diagnosis and appropriate management of clinical problems.
- Seven years or more of recent experience with HIV/AIDS treatment; three years minimum of administration and program management experience with good knowledge of current clinical guidelines, protocols and procedures in the management of HIV and related diseases.
- Must have hands-on experience in planning and budgeting
- Experience in quality management and assurance practices desired
- Must have hands-on experience in monitoring and health programs/projects
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, especially within the development, government and political environment
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Research applications e.g SPSS, Epi-info etc
- Must have good leadership skills which should be evident in past job roles
- Sound program management skills
- Must have excellent written/oral communication skills with English language as the first language
- Candidate should have sound ability to read and interpret scientific journals
- Must have good people’s skills and respect confidentiality to issues around HIV/AIDS
- S/he must have the willingness to travel.
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a one page profile and CV (as one document) in word format by e-mail to: email@example.com The subject line of the e-mail should contain the Job Title and Code.
- Only applications received on or before the deadline will be accepted.
- Only short-listed applicants will be notified.