Management Sciences for Health New Ongoing Recruitment
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Compliance Officer I
Job ID: 13-10182
Reports To: Corporate Director of Internal Audit; and administratively reports to the Country Representative.
- S/he will review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability of financial reporting, compliance with applicable laws and the safeguarding of assets. S/he will plan, perform and report back on internal assessments to ensure that financial control, financial guidelines of donor organization and other control procedures are in place and are being properly implemented and managed on the PMI-S Malaria project. S/he will also be responsible for advising and monitoring quality standards of operations and value for money.
- S/he will monitor and following-up on recommendations from the internal and external auditors to ensure the recommendations have been implemented and adhered to.
- Under the direction of the Director of Internal Audit (and MSH General Counsel where necessary), s/he will conduct thoroughly documented investigations of whistleblower cases, and suspected fraud and will directly interface with the Director of Internal Audit on these or other specific cases.
- The Compliance Officer will monitor the performance of all financial and operational functions within MSH Nigeria PMI-S Project. The position holder will ensure that all staff are well versed in donor and MSH policies and procedures, and are adhering to such standards.
- S/he will identify gaps in existing internal control systems, and provide recommendations to strengthen them; will identify gaps in staff’s knowledge and skills in MSH Policies & SoPs; will provide recommendations for training; and may provide training directly to staff.
- In coordination with the Director of Internal Audit, s/he will develop a plan and evaluation tools, and then carry out independent appraisals and verifications of the effectiveness of MSH and donor policies, procedures and standards, and applicable Nigeria law, by which MSH Nigeria financial resources are managed.
- Follows-up on recommendations to ensure they have been implemented and adhered to.
- Tests internal controls, targeting high risk areas, including workshops, vehicle usage, inventory control and cash advance management, payroll and Fleet Management.
- Documents internal control weaknesses and compliance deviations and their impact, and makes recommendations to address these weaknesses.
- Identifies gaps in knowledge and skills and provides recommendations for training.
- May be requested to provide training directly to staff.
- Prepares detailed reports of each compliance review and other task assignments, with prioritized findings and recommendations.
- Ensure that all MSH Nigeria and PMI-S Malaria project financial and operational activities are in compliance with Nigeria law (tax laws, CSA laws and government pension agency laws), donor rules and regulations, and MSH policies and standards.
- Develops an annual customized compliance monitoring plan, including evaluation tools, standards, ethical considerations, and schedule to evaluate all PMI-S Malaria project or remote staff/office locations, and to revisit sites needing extra attention.
- Develops compliance framework for the PMI-S Malaria project; including compliance checklists for the various business processes, transaction classes, country laws governing NGO operations, and specific donor requirements.
- Periodically reviews and updates the compliance monitoring checklist and other tools to stay current with MSH procedures and policies.
- Examines the effectiveness of internal controls and compliance within MSH Nigeria policy framework and identifies gaps in procedures and controls systems and provides recommendations to the Country Leadership Team for strengthening them.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or business management or related area. Advanced degree preferred
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skill.
- Professional proficiency in English required
- Six plus years of experience in compliance, risk management or audit required.
- Extensive familiarity of U.S Government grant/contracts rules and regulations (USAID, CDC,) or other donor rules and regulations (E.U) required.
- Experience in international development programs preferred.
- Excellent planning, management, and organizational skills.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply