Lead Policy Officer (Agriculture, Human Development, Energy, Climate Change and Green Growth) at the African Development Bank (AfDB)
African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lead Policy Officer (Agriculture, Human Development, Energy, Climate Change and Green Growth)
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50095290
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group.
- Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Office of the President assists the President in planning, supervising and managing the business of the Bank Group. The Office of the President monitors, coordinates and supervises the implementation of various Bank programs based on the global or regional trends and emerging knowledge in the major development areas of agriculture, human and social development, energy and climate; and gender and civil society.
- The Office examines the impact of the Bank Group country and regional programs in responding to existing and emerging development trends and needs in the regional member countries, identifies new areas for business growth; leads and coordinates the preparation of technical and knowledge briefs for the President’s internal and external engagements; and monitors the effective and timely implementation of Presidential instructions, Board and Management decisions. Under other activities, the Office prepares and organizes the President’s missions and represents the Bank at international conferences and on working missions to member countries; organizes meetings with Bank’s Senior Management; reviews, evaluates and gives advice on communication and interaction between the Presidency and the various organs of the Bank; provides effective administrative and logistic support to facilitate implementation of the President’s programs; and prepares, monitors audit reports and follows up on the implementation of the recommendations of the reports.
- The Lead Policy Officer on agriculture, social and human development, gender and civil society, power energy and climate change will provide technical, knowledge and operational support to the President with respect to policy, strategy and implementation of activities in these areas.
- She/he will also provide cross cutting support in the implementation of the Bank’s priorities (High 5s) and sector operations, policies and strategies.
- The incumbent will provide technical and practical advice and recommendations to the President; review and provide comments and guidance on strategy papers and operation documents.
- He/she will provide technical advice to ensure cross complex coordination and alignment of activities to deliver on the High 5 priorities of the Bank to accelerate delivery in countries and across regions.
- He/she will also participate in major regional and international initiatives aimed at tackling the development challenges facing Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Staff and Director of the Cabinet, the Lead Policy Officer will perform the following:
- Regularly provide the President with detailed technical write ups on major global and regional knowledge and operational trends in the key areas of agriculture, human and social development, energy, power climate change and gender and civil society engagement.
- Guide and support the preparation of technical briefs and talking points for the President’s internal and external engagements;
- Provide strategic advice to the project and management teams in complexes on the design and implementation of cross-complex and high visibility programs under the high 5 priorities on the ground;
- Coordinate and facilitate collaboration between the Bank and external partners on strategic and operational partnership on the high 5 priorities and promptly deliver the President’s guidance to vice Presidents;
- Actively monitor the implementation of the President’s strategic guidance and provide prompt updates to the President. Conduct deep analysis of implementation challenges with concerned complexes and recommend improvements to increase efficiency and effectiveness;
- Ensure the integration of the relevant high five priorities (Light up & power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa) in all materials disseminated from the Presidency and by the Bank;
- Maintain effective engagement with the sector departments and other relevant units in the Bank to ensure a coordinated approach in the implementation of the Bank’s strategy and the High 5s;
- Provide technical and practical advice and recommendations to the President on Inclusive and Green Growth for internal and external meetings and to improve the quality of products emanating from the Cabinet;
- Advice on areas where Bank Group Sector Policies and related Guidelines – need to be reviewed and updated in line with lessons learnt as well as best practices at sister institutions. This may also include requests of the Board of Directors, and the evolving need to further deepen the quality of operations in the Bank; and Liaising and maintaining close working relationship with bilateral and multilateral development partner institutions, RMCs and other stakeholders during the review and updating of the policies.
- Represent the Bank in international policy conferences and meetings as part of knowledge generation which is key to updating Bank policies and strategies in the specific sectors
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Economics, Agricultural Sciences, Social Development, Natural Resources, Environmental Sciences, Energy, Engineering Sciences or a closely related discipline.
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of experience in policy research and development management in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environments with large and complex institutional settings, with three (03) years in a managerial capacity
- Extensive experience in operational research and development issues in Africa and exposure to high level decision making within large institutional environments.
- Private Sector experience is advantageous
- Ability to synthesize information and knowledge gaps, design/develop appropriate analytical and investigative procedures and processes.
- Ability to conduct high level and strategic technical analysis and make recommendations on complex transactions.
- Skills in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new procedures and strategies.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of institutional policies and procedures and the regulatory environment within which they operate.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with highly diverse teams consisting of Board of Directors, Senior Management and response to needs of multiple stakeholders, with excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across institutional boundaries with various teams.
- Wide knowledge networks in the relevant subject areas at a global and regional scale. Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Skills in negotiating complex transactions involving public private partnerships
- Knowledge and experience in complex transactions involving multiple stakeholders in Africa.
- Leadership experience in research and development in Africa
- Strongly technical and analytical skills
- Policy advisory skills
- Operational effectiveness
- Innovation and creativity
- Client orientation
- Team working and relationship management
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SAP, and/or other integrated document management system).
Application Closing Date
11th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online