Latest Jobs at The International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Location: Borno
- Job Field: Human Resources / HR Internships / Volunteering
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The HR Intern will play an important role in supporting the HR Operations team but also have the opportunity to recommend improvements and impact real change.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Senior Talent Acquisition Officer
- Maintains employment files and records per IRC policy and legal regulation
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicates through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
- Support recruitment exercise including sorting, long and shortlisting of applications
- Support in creation of new staff personal files
- Updating the existing personal files, ensuring that they all have the necessary information
- General organization of Recruitment Office documents/paperwork
- Supporting the induction processes
- Any other official duties assigned by the supervisor
- Opportunity for an understanding and inner-working of Global HR in an international non-profit setting
- Strengthen communication skills and understanding cultural sensitivities
- Demonstrate leadership skills while working in a team environment
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities
- Good understanding of full-cycle recruiting
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Candidate should have the desire to learn about all aspects of HR
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills, including ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to communicate fluently and effectively in English, Hausa and or Kanuri
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills: the ability to multi-task, learn quickly, and work independently and productively in a fast-paced and detail-oriented environment
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Management, or relevant field.
- Possess a high degree of integrity, and the ability to work with confidential information.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Very good attention to detail, and strong interpersonal skills
- Should be fluent in English. Any additional language skills is a plus.
Working Environment: The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State. The security situation in Borno is relatively stable with periodic tensions. All IRC offices are provided with internet facilities and there is reliable mobile telecommunication network in Borno.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
EH Infrastructure Assistant
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: OND
- Location: Borno
- Job Field: Safety and Environment / HSE
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Gwoza, Nigeria
- The EH Assistant-Hygiene Promotion will be based in Gwoza and report to the EH Officer – Hygiene Promotion. S/he will be primarily responsible for supervising the implementation of hygiene promotion activities at village level as directed by the EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Hygiene promotion in implementing hygiene promotion activities in the communities. This includes training of Community Hygiene promoters, establishing and training WASH committees, community hygiene clubs and directly carrying out hygiene awareness in the communities.
- Ensure that the water and sanitation activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering beneficiary needs.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other EH teams and sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE).
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in the communities; this includes household visits, hygiene awareness sessions and distribution of hygiene promotion materials.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoters over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points
- If requested, participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning.
- Directly manage the day to day hygiene promotion activities in the field locations.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet agreed objectives within the timeframe.
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming.
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community hygiene Promoters and train hygiene promoters on their appropriate use.
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters, community volunteers, community leaders, community hygiene clubs and WASH committees.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records
- Provide weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials and detailed NFI distribution records.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Assist the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion to identify, train and support Community hygiene promoters, WASH committee members and community health club members.
- Supervise and manage community Hygiene promoters.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget.
- Responsible for community hygiene promoter’s weekly reports, timesheets and weekly work plans.
- Participate in daily monitoring and recording of Hygiene promotion activities including house hold visits, Group Hygiene sessions, Mass Hygiene awareness campaigns, NFI distributions, Menstrual Hygiene Management and other Hygiene related activities.
- Participate in Monthly HH surveys and KAP surveys depending on need.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Officer – Hygiene promotion, and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor for the development IRC programs
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: EH Hygiene Promotion Officer
Position directly supervises: Nil
Indirect Reporting: EH Manager
- Minimum Diploma or certificate in social sciences, Public health, Environmental Health or other related courses.
- Experience in implementation of hygiene promotion activities.
- Experience in establishment and training of Hygiene Promoters, WASH committees and School hygiene Clubs.
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Sound knowledge of English language
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word and Excel
- Knowledge of the Local language-Hausa
Security level orange. The situation in Gwoza is calm at the moment but remains tense and unpredictable; concerns include criminality. There is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability, However, Gwoza female Indigenes are strongly encouraged to apply.
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.