Latest Jobs at Oxfam Nigeria
Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 5 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Req ID: 4202
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Contract Type: Full-time/ 40 hours a week for a 6 month, renewable contract
Purpose of the Position
- To provide strategic leadership and facilitate quality, gender-sensitive, accountable, and impact-focused emergency WaSH interventions in North-East Nigeria humanitarian response, building on existing programming, as well as influencing policy and practice and representing Oxfam on WASH issues
Strategic Planning and Coordination:
- Define and shape strategic objectives and priorities for the WASH strategy and contribute to other strategies, involving collaboration with other programme units.
- Ensure that the strategy is informed by sound analysis, with consultations with teams and concerned stakeholders and are devised in promotion of Oxfam’s values and culture
- Overall responsible and focal point together with other coordinators in the response in newly accessible areas.
- Provide strategic advisory support, linking up Oxfam GHT advisors, UN and other agencies in the WaSH sector based in Maiduguri
- Ensure that “lessons learned” from the emergency interventions in NE Nigeria is conveyed to the department to influence future policies and planning.
- Explore and develop strategic partners contributing to quality of programmes:
- Liaise with donors on WASH technical issues of the programme (as required)
- Advocate on programmatic options and link in with policy/advocacy team as required.
Project design and implementation:
- To continuously assess the context, and design/adapt the programme and team composition as required by the context, ensuring that operational plans take into consideration risks
- Ensure a high quality, multi-sectoral approach, aiming at reaching appropriate minimum SPHERE and internal technical standards, with a focus on quality and accountability.
- Work closely with TLs to agree on operational plan and share process guidelines and systems to be used in emergency WASH to ensure that quality objectives are met.
- Support the preparation/ inception of projects, including recruitment of key WASH staff and activity planning as required.
- Lead the team direct and remotely (as appropriate) on assessments, compiling the report and leading on analysis and response plans
- Develop guidelines and tools with teams for implementation, and to ensure compliance with established guidelines and standards.
- Endeavour to ensure a good working relationship with support functions, procurement planning, preparing supply requisitions, distribution plans, staffing requests, etc. in a timely manner
- Budget management and design, and tracking for sectoral activities
- Proactively ensure that gender equity issues are considered in all aspects of Oxfam’s work and encourage mainstreaming of gender into all programme aspects by increasing knowledge of the staff, community structures and beneficiary communities through trainings/ awareness raising activities and incorporating gender data in program monitoring and design.
- Ensure that the programme is accountable to beneficiaries through promoting their participation, providing them with information about programme activities and ensuring that beneficiary feedback is used effectively to adapt the programme.
- To represent Oxfam at national and state level Coordination meetings and other sub-sector meetings when needed or requested by NEPC.
Management of Oxfam staff:
- In line with Oxfam performance management procedures, matrix line manages PHE/PHP TLs – ensuring that overall performance management is in place and used effectively by the team in the NE Nigeria humanitarian programme.
- Build a strong team spirit and vision, ensuring that discussions on Oxfam country strategy, project implementation strategies, roll on WaSH strategies and detailed implementation planning are shared with the team, understood and implemented
- Ensure an internal coordination mechanism is in place (regular staff meeting, and reporting) & feedback is provided to PMs and NEPC, HRco in a timely manner.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Review, and Learning:
- Close collaboration with MEAL Co and inputs/technical support on developing new MEAL tools to be used by the team to ensure that relevant information is being collected to inform strategy and implementation, and to ensure accountability and learning.
- With support from MEALco- guide and support field staff in effective on-going monitoring on project outcomes/impacts and render technical advice for fine-tuning plans/modalities where required.
- Guide on technical standards in operation reports (internal/ for donors).
- Ensure project learning is captured, consolidated and disseminated.
- Incorporate best practices in projects, and guide program staff on sharing strategies, procedures, successes and lessons learnt at national level and if appropriate regional level with appropriate partners and within Oxfam.
Communicating Oxfam’s work:
- Responsible for WASH contribution to Oxfam’s work, representing and developing good relationships with Ministry/departments/UN and other agencies, be proactive in ensuring that Oxfam develops and maintains a positive profile.
- Keep informed of relevant programme issues and context and to contribute to wider programme learning.
- Work together with the Technical Leads advocating on issues raised by programme team
- As and when requested lead on reporting writing and provide updates to WASH Sector
- You have a Bachelors/master’s degree in in a related discipline;
- Over 5 yrs + experience in emergency WASH programming preferably with Oxfam. This includes large scale up (sudden onset) programme design;
- Solid experience in working in conflict setting/remote operations and working in fragile and insecurity contexts;
- Excellent understanding of SPHERE and Oxfams internal min standards/tools;
- Able to influence/negotiate and advocate technical options and strategy to donors and team;
- Strategic development skills, with the ability to translate concepts easily into practical actions;
- Able to work remotely with team;
- Ability to develop and implement a robust, sustainable capacity building programme for national staff, local govt departments and local partners. Proven coaching and mentoring skills;
- Able to take initiative and can think outside the box (particularly when operating in complex emergency);
- Able to integrate gender/protection and PHP/EFSL for quality integrated response;
- Excellent English written skills.
What We Offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between €3.021,– to €4.648,– gross based on 40 hours a week.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 3 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Ref Id: 4203
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria with regular travel to the field
Contract Type: Full-time/ 40 hours a week for a 6 month, renewable contract
Purpose of the team and the Position
- To ensure Oxfam has the management, technical and logistical capacity to both scale-up and to respond rapidly to major humanitarian emergencies anywhere in the world.
- To support the development and implementation of Oxfam s humanitarian work by providing specialist advice and support on humanitarian protection.
- This will include implementing mainstreaming protection in the humanitarian response, supporting safe programming and undertaking gender-sensitive community-level protection activities in particular, protection monitoring, and information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam’s policies and guidelines for managing information and the relevant professional standards in protection work.
- The situation in North East Nigeria is highly changeable and this job description maybe subject to change as the situation evolves.
- As such the post-holder will be expected to be flexible as to working location; however, should security conditions allow, we would expect the post-holder to be based in Maidiguri with regular travel to other field location.
- Development, coordination and delivery of agreed plans or strategies.
- Input to strategic plans and processes at country, region and global thematic level (e.g. protection strategy, analysis)
- Representation in coordination meetings and external relationships
- Impact and influence in own team, RC, in country teams across sectoral specialities. This includes Working along with WaSH, EFSVL, MEAL and other departments to ensure integrated protection activities are correctly planned and implemented throughout the project and campaigns work is protection-informed.
- Coordinates projects and people (including matrix management). Providing specialist protection advice or specific skills to team.
- Collaborates with other teams and departments
- Management tasks are complex and non-routine within a specialised function.
- Requires the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide audience and to communicate complex concepts and issues in a relevant and meaningful way to other Oxfam staff.
- Decision-making requires significant levels of judgement based on technical and management experience, generally advising line management or the programme team.
- Role is variable with well-defined targets and/or minimum standards and is both proactive and reactive.
- To play active role in lobby and advocacy on issues related to programmes through personal contacts and co-ordination of allies.
- To take part in public campaigns based on agreed plan of action and objectives.
- To support fundraising efforts and produce clear and quality reports (financial and narrative) that demonstrates good accountability.
- Impact is on own department/Region, and through the impact of the team’s work on technical quality of Oxfam’s humanitarian work on the whole of Oxfam, e.g. on the international profile of the organisation.
- Works with similar post holders and advisers across the Lake Chad Basin response and other Oxfam staff members in other countries and affiliates
- Participate in Oxfam’s internal Protection Peer Group and contribute to Oxfam’s global strategic thinking on protection
- The situation in Maidiguri, Nigeria is highly changeable and this job description is subject to change as the situation evolves. As such the post-holder will be expected to be flexible as to working location, however should security conditions allow, we would expect the post-holder to be based in Maidiguri and travel where possible.
- Ensure the delivery of protection activities and provide technical support to the Protection Team Leaders and Officers to undertake their responsibilities in line with their role and responsibility.
- Supportive supervision of field protection staff in monitoring and analysing protection issues affecting populations in area of Oxfam operations.
- Analyse protection concerns arising from Oxfam’s humanitarian response, provide recommendations on addressing them and throughout the process of addressing the protection concerns s/he must support continuous support to the relevant teams
- Provide specialist protection advice and support to Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria, including regarding humanitarian access and engagement with armed non-state actors and ensuring independence and impartiality in providing services.
- Support the management to strategize, plan for and ensure appropriate integration and mainstreaming of protection throughout the humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria.
- Provide technical support to WaSH, EFSVL and MEAL teams in integrating protection within their programmatic tools, such as targeting criteria or PDM.
- Support Protection Team Leaders and Officers in preparing and organizing community consultations and community-based orientation sessions.
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys, needs assessment and data collection for protection-related research.
- Monitors protection issues affecting IDPs and host population in areas of operation.
- Provide technical and analytical advice to manager in developing safe programming and conflict-sensitive approaches to the humanitarian response.
- Provide capacity-building on gendered protection, safe programming, project management, community-based mechanisms.
- Ensure program staff members are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs.
- Ensure Protection Activities abide by safe programming principles with risks analysed and gender considered in every action
- Organise and prepare protection analysis, if and when required, and draft the reports
- Build proposals to ensure appropriate funding and response for protection activities
- Prioritization of context suitable trainings for authorities, duty bearers, community leaders, civilian defence forces, religious groups, civil society on roles and responsibilities to protect.
- Support communication with communities through two-way channels between the humanitarian community and the population of Borno including community feedback channel radio broadcasts, outreach work action, creation of innovative IEC materials, and community protection committee engagement.
Advocacy and Research:
- Provide technical input into the policy, advocacy, campaign and media teams work (including the RiC campaign) on the identification of protection issues, the narrative content and collaboration on information dissemination of protection concerns, engagement in influencing appropriate stakeholders at the national and international level, conducting interviews, and supporting safety of campaigns actions.
- Lead on local level advocacy efforts alongside the programme management leads and supported as needed by the advocacy department.
- Provide technical support on humanitarian access and civil-military cooperation or coordination in inter-agency forums and working groups (if and as per requirements) and support adherence to Oxfam’s rules of engagement to improve access to populations
- Develop lines of communication and close collaboration with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated and three sector integrated humanitarian response
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork
- Represent Oxfam with key protection actors such as ICRC, UNHCR, IOM, OCHA and actively participate in the Protection Cluster and relevant Areas of Responsibility including the Access Working Group, GBV Working Group, and CP Working Group.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and reporting:
- Produce regular protection updates
- Contribute in Sitreps, monthly reports and donor reports.
- Support and coordinate with MEAL Coordinator, Officers and assistants for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
- MEAL tools (including PDMs) capturing protection relevant indicators with correct analysis of the impacts of gender and age
- Undertake research and assessments, both internally and with partners, on protection-related specific information gaps to inform Oxfam’s response and the broader humanitarian community.
- Other duties and responsibilities required by the line manager
Requirements, Skills and Competence
- A minimum of 3 years involvement in humanitarian response work, preferably in field-based protection work in conflict or insecure environments.
- University degree at Master’s level in a relevant discipline (Law – including International Law – Political Science, Social Science, Peace and Conflict Studies, or any other relevant education profile);
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically Oxfam’s approach to and role in protection work including advocacy;
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors;
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking, including experience developing written analysis and strategies for protection
- Strong understanding of gender-related aspects of protection work. Commitment to gender equity, diversity and equal opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Fluency in English
- Experience managing diverse staff/teams including in complex and challenging environments
- Experience of capacity-building and training of colleagues and partners
- Knowledge of NGO programming in emergencies
- Knowledge or experience of Oxfam’s Protection programme work
- Experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies.
- Project management
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches
What We Offer
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors.
- The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between 3.021 euro,– to 4.648 euro,– gross based on 40 hours a week.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.