Jobs at Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA)
Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a nonprofit organization registered in Nigeria in 2016 to respond to the humanitarian crisis in Northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region by providing evidence-based interventions and promoting human right, peace and development initiatives in grassroots communities in Nigeria.
- Job Type: Contract Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Borno, Yobe
- Job Field: Internships / Volunteering NGO/Non-Profit
Contract Period: 6 months
Commencement: 19th August 2019
- In response to the conflicts in Northeast Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin which has resulted in the displacement of persons and incidents of human rights abuses, GRA is partnering with Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) in Strengthening the capacity and oversight of human rights principles in counter terrorism across Lake Chad Region (SCO- HRP Lake Chad) Project
- The aim of the project is to identify, document and empower local actors in the dissemination and uptake of cases of Human Rights Abuses within the context of terrorism and counter terrorism operations in the Lake Chad Basin.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist in identifying and documenting of cases of Human Rights Abuses within the context of terrorism and counter terrorism operations in Borno and Yobe
- Assist in monitoring progress on cases of human rights abuses and ensuring consistent update of the cases into the clearing house register / database
- Participate in monthly clearing house sessions with the program staff and pro-bono lawyers to review the state of all identified and ongoing cases of human rights violations, leading to next steps of actions and approaches towards ensuring perpetrators are held accountable
- Produce and submit weekly report on cases of Human Rights Abuse in the assigned location of coverage, including success stories and lessons learned
- Assist in mobilizing stakeholders aimed at demanding accountability on cases of Human Rights violations
- Participate in community meetings, focus group discussions and any other program role as may be required by GRA.
Collaboration / Ethical Operating Standards:
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with GRA program staff and the beneficiaries
- Approachable and good listenership skills
- Volunteers will be paid monthly stipends based on the services rendered to GRA.
Qualification and Skills
- Degree, HND or Diploma in a relevant field
- Previous experience in a nonprofit organization is highly desirable
- Proven intellectual capacity and willingness to learn
- Ability to work under pressure, with little or no supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, as well as knowledge of Hausa.
Pro-Bono Leadership Consultant
- Job Type: Full Time
- Location: Borno
- Job Field: Consultancy
- Project Title: Building Survivors Network in Nigeria (BSN) Project
- Activity Title: Leadership Workshop for Leaders of Survivors Network in Nigeria
- Type of Service: Short Term Pro-Bono Consultancy
- Number Required: 1 Pro-Bono Consultant
- Duration: 22th – 23th August, 2019
- Location of Workshop: Yobe State
- Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a nonprofit organization registered in Nigeria in 2016 to respond to the humanitarian crisis in Northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region by providing evidence-based interventions and promoting human right, peace and development initiatives in grassroots communities in Nigeria.
- Due to the conflicts in Northeast Nigeria which has resulted in the displacement of persons and led to increase in reported cases of sexual violence, GRA with support from the Dr. Denis Mukwege Foundation (an International NGO based in Netherlands) is building a network of survivors of sexual violence under the Building Survivors Network in Nigeria (BSN) Project to enable survivors meet, dialogue and build a collective memory that would engender healing among themselves. The 4 months project is being piloted in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe State.
- Recently, GRA coordinated the elections of leaders of the Network in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe and is planning to conduct leadership training for the elected leaders to enable them selflessly and effectively lead their chapters of the network.
Purpose of Engagement
- GRA is seeking to engage a Pro-bono Leadership Consultant who would conduct 2-days leadership training in Yobe State for the elected leaders of survivors network. Three (3) leaders each would be selected from Adamawa, Borno and Yobe State for the training.
Scope of Assignment
- The Pro-bono Consultant is expected to train leaders of the network for 2 days using pragmatic and participatory approaches to build in them the necessary leadership skills required to fulfill their roles as leaders.
- Interested applicants for this role are required to submit the following documents:
- An Expression of Interest (EoI) letter indicating not less than 3 years experience in conducting similar trainings, with proof or reference of previous training/workshops conducted;
- Training work plan indicating agenda, topics, and delivery methods (A combination of case studies, practical exercises, graphics and short video clips will be highly desirable).
- GRA will support the selected Consultant to develop training manual for the workshop.
- At the end of the workshop, the Pro-bono Consultant is expected to submit a training report to GRA.
- Whereas the Consultant will work on volunteer basis, GRA will provide daily sustenance allowance and will also bear the cost of logistics for the training
Timeframe / Schedule:
- Deadline for submission of EoI and Work Plan 14th August, 2019
- Selection / Screening of applicants 16th August, 2019
- Signing of contract agreements 19th August, 2019
- Development and Printing of training manuals 19 – 21 August, 2019
- Training 22th – 23th August, 2019.
- Submission of report by the Consultant 27 August, 2019
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter as single PDF document addressed to “The Executive Director, Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA)”, via: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com using “Application for Volunteer” as the subject of the mail.
- GRA is an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate gender, religion or ethnicity.
- GRA recruitment and selection procedures do not involve any form of payment to the organization, staff and or any assigned third party, request of such kinds should be immediately reported.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.