Job For Head of Base at Intersos
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Base
Location: Maiduguri Borno, with frequent mission on the ground (Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Monguno, Mobbar and Magumeri LGAs. Further LGAs could be added in the coming weeks / months)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 10 International staff
General Purpose of the Position
- The Head of Base will oversee the Operations, Administrative, HR and Logistics units in Borno state, including Maiduguri, Ngala (Ngala-Gambaru), Bama (Banki) and Dikwa (Dikwa), ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, ensuring strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy.
- S/he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse staff as well as effectively oversee operations, programs, budgets and partnerships.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Program and operations:
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field.
- Ensure implementation of recommendations from internal audits, departmental field visits and field assessments.
- Play a facilitator role between field offices/operation and Coordination office.
- Keep the Coordination informed of program progresses, obstacles and delivery.
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments.
- Coordinate reporting activities at field level in accordance with the requirements of donors and the headquarter.
- Coordinate the capitalization of information/operation to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities.
- Ensure a constant analysis of humanitarian context in his/her area of responsibility
- Oversee the logistics, procurement, administration and HR operations in Borno State, aiming at improving the operations systems and processes.
- Manage accountability of Admin and Operations actions in Maiduguri base
- Support project field staff in Borno State in the optimal and efficient implementation of the projects.
- Coordinate and supervise the implementation of ongoing projects.
- Ensure overall consistency in the implementation of programs in every intervention sites.
- Coordinate the development of new projects proposal in collaboration with technical referents, key staff and the Head of Mission.
- Guarantee a good synergy between technical and support teams at field level and between the various implementation locations.
- Supervise and manage the team members under his direct responsibility, ensuring their coaching and regular evaluations.
- Ensure a good level of communication between the areas of intervention.
- Facilitate and promote the smooth flow of information.
- Ensure that field teams make clear requests for support to coordination teams to maximize operational effectiveness and program effectiveness and quality.
- Support the Head of Mission on the promotion of accountability and commitment to INTERSOS charter and prevention on abuse of power.
- Coordinate and oversee all INTERSOS partnerships In Borno State.
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities.
- If necessary, implement at local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined for the mission.
- Maintain an effective network with stakeholders at local level about security aspects, collect and analyze information to establish risk and context analysis and do the follow up of the teams.
- Ensure the performance of the supply chain and logistic aspects.
- Ensure the implementation of the HR policy and the management of human resources according to established procedures
- Support the Head of Mission in the production of internal security regulations and ensure their application
- Manage, on a daily basis, any security incident or deterioration of the security environment by reporting to the Head of Mission.
- Coordination with support functions
- Manage financial, logistics and HR activities by monitoring and analyzing indicators
- Ensure compliance with financial, logistic and HR procedures within the various Borno State Offices
- Anticipate the financial, logistic and HR needs at Borno State level and communicate these needs to the Coordination using appropriate tools and in compliance with the planned deadlines
- Relevant degree in (Management/Logistic) and/or equivalent management working experience.
- Relevant humanitarian working experience of at least 3 years
- Strategic vision, leadership, people management, teamwork and flexibility,
- Ability to work under pressure in a highly complex emergency context
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Excellent ability to establish inter-personal relations and good negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effectively results
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th June, 2018.