Job For Graduate Assistant Technical Officer at FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, WASH
Location: Damasak, Borno
Job Type: Full time
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- The ATO WASH – Engineer will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites. Under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the ATO WASH- Engineer will supervise contracts to provide upgrades to water systems, latrines, showers and water points. Other responsibilities will include conducting water quality testing for all water points rehabilitated under the program and working with Community Volunteers and latrine users to develop cleaning and maintenance schedules for latrines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day operational and programmatic support to all WASH activities.
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Build capacity of Community Volunteers (CHWs) through trainings and hygiene promotion.
- Oversee all activities related to WASH activities at field site.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA/BS in Engineering with 1 to 3 years’ relevant experience in WASH with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Possession of an or post graduate degree in a WASH/Engineering is required.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regards to engineering latrines, showers and water points.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.