Individual Consultant for Translation, Interpreting and Editing Services at African Development Bank Group
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Individual Consultant for Translation, Interpreting and Editing Services
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
- The African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier multi-lateral development-finance institution in Africa and it seeks to foster, inter alia, economic growth and social progress on the continent.
- The AfDB’s primary goal is to reduce poverty and improve living standards by mobilizing resources in and outside Africa, and providing financial and technical assistance for development projects and programs in Africa.
- The primary role of the Corporate Language Services Department (CHLS), for efficient execution of the Bank’s mission and in keeping with the Bank’s Agreement, is to:
- Ensure the availability of all documents to be submitted to Senior Management and the Governing Bodies of the Institution in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French), and occasionally Arabic and Portuguese;
- Provide interpreting services at all Bank meetings, at Headquarters, in the Bank’s Regional and Country Offices and in the field; and
- Provide editing services for flagship reports and key documents produced by the AfDB.
- To sharply focus the objectives of its Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, the Bank has rolled out a new Development and Business Delivery Model (DBDM) based on five top priorities (“High 5s”).
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) is instrumental in implementing the Bank’s development agenda and strategic focus. CHVP leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, business continuity, health and safety, and language services.
- In view of the foregoing, the Corporate Language Services Department hereby invites individual consultants to express their interest to provide the following services:
- Translations of Bank documents to and from English and French primarily, and occasionally to and from Portuguese and Arabic;
- Interpretation, during various Bank meetings and missions, into and from English and French primarily, and, occasionally, into and from Portuguese and Arabic; and
- Editing of flagship Bank documents and reports in English and French primarily, and occasionally in Portuguese and Arabic.
- CHLS will select successful candidates and sign framework contracts with them in order to constitute a roster of freelance translators, interpreters, and editors whose services will be contracted as and when needed during a period of three (3) years, renewable.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives and Scope of the Assignment:
- CHLS will use the services of the selected consultants, as and when needed, to meet the Institution’s translation, interpretation, and editing needs throughout the duration of the framework contracts.
- Unless otherwise expressly decided by CHLS, there shall not be any lump sum payments and the consultants shall be paid for the services effectively provided;
- The consultant will be required to:
- Submit quality translations requiring little or no revision;
- Perform quality interpretation; and
- Provide quality editing services in respect of the aforesaid Bank documents.
- Documents to be translated shall relate, but not limited to, project reports, policy and strategy documents, legal and research papers.
- For each assignment, the parties (translator, interpreter, editor and CHLS) shall agree on the duration, completion date and cost of the service to be provided; the costs shall be based on defined rates set by the Bank and taking into account international standards; and
- The payment of consultants, continuation and subsequent renewal of contracts shall be contingent upon satisfactory periodic and annual performance.
- The consultants shall report to either the Translation or Interpretation Division Managers, the Director of the Department or any other CHLS officer that the Director might designate. The supervising officer shall be responsible for the periodic and annual assessment as well as guidance of the consultant.
Duration of the Contract
- The aforesaid framework contract to be signed with the Director of CHLS shall be for a duration of three (3) years. It shall commence in January 2018 and end on 31 December 2020.
- The contract shall be renewable by the CHLS Director for similar durations of three years or less, subject to satisfactory assessment of the performance of the consultant over the preceding contract period.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
Prospective consultants must be nationals of AfDB member countries and shall possess the following qualifications and skills, in keeping with the Bank’s procurement policies:
- At least a Master’s Degree, equivalent qualification or experience in Translation, Interpretation or related and relevant disciplines;
- Adequate knowledge of the core business, activities and operations of the African Development Bank;
- Experience working for the African Development Bank and/or other development-finance institutions, national and international financial institutions and relevant national ministries and agencies.
- Relevant experience of at least five (5) years in translation, interpretation and editing, preferably in or with a development-finance institution or similar body;
- Excellent writing and/or speaking skills in English and French, and/or in Portuguese and Arabic;
- Ability to work reliably, independently and effectively, even under pressure, and to meet agreed deadlines;
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard software as well as with computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools and similar software will be an added advantage;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multilingual environment; and
- Ability to work in a team and to communicate effectively.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply
Application Deadline 24th December, 2017.