Humanitarian Roving Finance Manager at Oxfam Nigeria – 6 Positions
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Roving Finance Manager
Locations: Maiduguri, Pulka, Gwoza, Damboa, Rann and Mubi, Borno
Start Date: January 1, 2018
Job Type: 1-year contract
- To provide critical financial and management support all NE Humanitarian field bases and provide skill and experience to help develop the capacity of financial staff.
- To establish, implement and monitor all program financial management of the Humanitarian Response in the North-East Nigeria.
- Identifying risk and providing mitigation actions and follow up to ensure risk reduction or elimination
- Lead and provide support to the Business Support Manager and Humanitarian Program Coordinator in on risk management, systems and compliance.
- Responsible for the preparation of budgets, and monthly reviews actuals v budget variances, analyzes trends, identifies areas of concern and risk, follows up on all budget variance queries with the budget holders, and provides financial management advice on resource utilization and underlying budget forecasts to senior managers / budget holders.
- Liaise with the Funding teams on donor proposals, preparation of donor reports and budget revisions (when necessary).
- Ensure that effective systems and processes are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management, control and donor contract management
- Review and develop Finance guidelines and procedures to maintain a well-controlled environment; ensures documentation of procedures.
- Work closely with and supports staff to ensure that Oxfam’s accounting and financial policies, procedures and standards are understood; ensures effective and efficient implementation of the finance policies and procedures
- Proactively monitor and assess the quality of existing financial controls across the country of operation and introduces new controls / measures, as appropriate, to minimize the risk of fraud and theft.
- Monitor the implementation and application of the financial controls and compliance with all legal and statutory reporting requirements in Nigeria, identifies solutions to problems and ensures that they are implemented in timely, effective and efficient manner.
- Ensure appropriate and secure record keeping for financial transactions in line with donor, Oxfam and statutory requirements as well as compliance to donor contract conditions including timely submission of donor reports.
- Ensures that recommendations of audits, concerning the finance function, are implemented in a timely, effective and efficient manner, and reports progress on the implementation of recommendations periodically.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of program and management processes in the finance office.
- Support and guide the Program Management Team in financial management linked to program work.
- Participate and contribute to strategic planning processes, ensuring financial management and risk implications are considered in all processes.
- Lead on and support program in assessments and building financial management capacity of staff and partners (where applicable)
- Carry out training and briefing of all staff on agreed procedures, internal controls and donor compliance requirements on a continuous basis.
- Works with program staff to develop their capacity to manage and monitor budgets so that they understand their financial Management responsibilities.
- Supports Fraud awareness trainings and messaging in the Humanitarian Response
Qualification, Skills & Experience
- Bachelors/Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of institutional donors and previous experience in producing high quality donor reports.
- At least three years’ experience in finance and grant management with in the humanitarian sector and preferably with experience in a large scale emergency and / or complex organisation.
- Ability to influence and support colleagues in appreciating the importance of financial standards, procedures and controls.
- High level of computer literacy, excellent working knowledge of excel databases.
- Ability to prioritise own workload, work independently, be pro-active and innovative, and work to deadlines.
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills, including high-level interpersonal and representational capabilities
- Good interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
- Good capacity building skills including coaching
- Willingness to travel and work in difficult circumstances.
- An understanding of gender and diversity considerations within key areas of responsibility and commitment to addressing inequalities in the workplace and the program
Skills and Competence:
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Ability to advice and support in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work in a systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and details.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with a diverse set of staff at different levels within the organization
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between 2,962.00 EUR – 4,557.00 EUR.
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online