Health and Finance Advocacy Adviser at Save the Children Nigeria – Lagos and Jigawa
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Health and Finance Advocacy Adviser
Locations: Lagos and Jigawa
Job Type: Full Time
- The Health and Finance Advocacy Adviser will lead on health policy analysis and support the design and implementation of the programme within the right based programming approach.
- S/he will be responsible for leading on the development and delivery health advocacy and financing strategy within the context of Universal Health Care.
- S/he will support the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of party to promote pro-poor governance agenda in the delivery of primary health care with focus on improving quality and access to Health Services and strengthening the health system.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Develop and lead policy and research on health financing, health systems and Universal Health Coverage, especially for influencing national processes and discussions;
- Support actively in the process of developing the programme short- and long-term governance and advocacy agendas. Particularly as it relates to exploring governance-related barriers to the elimination of exclusion and inequity;
- Develop and deliver advocacy strategies to influence relevant stakeholders and achieve health policy changes at national and State levels;
- Assist colleagues to strengthen their knowledge and skills/capacities to incorporate governance frameworks, policy research, analysis and advocacy into their work;
- Monitor trends in the external environment, identifying opportunities to promote the programme and policy advocacy objectives;
- Keep abreast of the external political and policy environment and create the right opportunities for engagement and influencing.
Communication and Representation:
- Act as SC’s representative at state and national levels with local authorities, partners etc. as required, mainly in events relating to health services;
- Organise events on health issues, including small high-level seminars;
- Develop and maintain a professional network for governance issues within Nigeria and within SC globally;
- Organise events for dissemination of important information and messages;
- Develop position papers, briefings and policy advocacy messaging to clearly communicate our advocacy goals.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self- accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values;
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same;
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically;
- Build strong influencing networks among policy makers, donors and CSOs to push the UHC agenda.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters;
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
- Level of Education – Post Graduate;
- Specified Study Area – Public Health / Development Economics / Development Studies;
- 5 years’ experience in health/development advocacy with a focus on health financing, health governance and enhanced voice and accountability;
- Fluency in English Language;
- Level of IT Expertise Required – Excellent;
- Profound knowledge in Nigeria governance and health systems and political terrains;
- Strong knowledge of global health policy goals and commitments;
- Ability to write strong position papers and policy briefings;
- Strong analytical framework to clearly articulate and communicate our policy positions;
- Ability to be strategic and proactive when required to be able to keep advocacy plans dynamic and aligned to new policy and political developments;
- Ability to clearly communicate and easily relate to federal state authorities;
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s commitment to protect children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Prior Experience Expectations:
- Building external networks;
- Health financing background;
- Strategic Planning;
- Governance and Gender advocacy;
- Enhanced voice accountability;
- Training and Facilitation.
Application Closing Date
27th March, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online