Graduate Mel Officer at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEL Officer
Location: Ngala, Borno
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, GAC and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Officer will support the program teams with technical oversight and direction on all monitoring and evaluation needs across implementing area.
- S/he will support the MEL manager in ensuring timely and quality reporting.
- The MEL Officer will support the provision of program staff with the information and training to capture monitoring metrics regularly and efficiently.
- S/he will coordinate and support data collection and analysis activities facilitated by MEL Assistants and regularly providing technical oversight, problem-solving and support.
- S/he will report to the MEL Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Contribute to adapting existing M&E systems to monitor and evaluate project activities and impact, in accordance with existing Mercy Corps DM&E guidelines.
- Support data capture across program interventions and analyze data collected during monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Oversee data tracking and analysis on regular basis and ensure that data and metrics in field reports are accurate.
- Write, edit, and summarize field reports to develop quality and informative monthly and quarterly reports for donors and internal teams.
- Work with the program team to identify opportunities to innovate M&E systems.
- In partnership with program team document lessons learned and best practices for dissemination within Mercy Corps, to donors, other agencies and interested parties
- Support pre and post monitoring, need assessments, survey, focus groups and evaluation or verification as well as other studies at the project and program levels.
- Utilize standard Mercy Corps assessment tools and help in developing new tools.
- Provide input on the design and implementation of baseline studies, mid-term evaluations and final evaluations.
- Conduct regular field visits to meet the beneficiaries, coordinate with project officers, to capture data correctly and efficiently to ensure regular and accurate information.
- Track and report lessons learned, prepare success stories about the program and share with MEL manager for inputs and wider circulation.
- Work closely with program teams for filing/archiving documentation both softcopies and hardcopies.
- Maintain relevant program and correspondence files related with DM&E.
- Contribute to developing other reports as requested by management (this may include research for new projects or programs or information requested by the donors, among other things)
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
- To show problem solving skills in monitoring as well as data management
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- M&E Assistant.
- Reports Directly To: MEL Manager
- Works Directly With: Program, Operations, and support team
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S in relevant field or other similar field; MA/MS/MBA or equivalent preferred.
- At least 1 year of experience in development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation or other learning efforts is required.
- Experience developing and disseminating regular communication materials and updates
- Experience conducting rapid needs assessments.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Proficiency with MS Office software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with social media and other multi-media tools preferred.
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as SPSS, EPI Info and mobile data collection platforms preferable
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- Skilled writer and synthesizer of diverse and complex information, helping teams generate new insights into their work, the needs of their countries and the region, and how program impact can be scaled.
- Talent for organizing and cataloguing information essential
- Sense of creativity essential
- Positive attitude and ability to work well on a team is essential
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required
- Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2017.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
Drop off application in a sealed envelope with the position boldly written to:
Mercy Corps Nigeria,
No.6 Extension 111 Gambole Road,
Opposite Capital School,
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.