Graduate Intern Recruitment at British High Commission 20th April, 2018
Job CategoryWe are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Trade Services Intern
Ref No: 05/18 LOS
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 3 months
Start Date: 1st June, 2018.
Main Purpose of Job
- The job holder will work in the Africa Region of the UK Department of International Trade (DIT). They will report to the Trade Services Unit (TSU) Head, Chargeable Services.
- They will work closely with the Africa Public Engagement and Communications (APEC) team on the delivery of events across the Southern, West and North (SWaN).
- The job holder will need to work collaboratively with colleagues across other UK departments in Africa, including DFID, The Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Ministry of Defence and the British Council. They will also need to actively engage external stakeholders in the Private Sector and host Governments.
- The Trade Services Unit exists to provide simplified and standardised services to British Companies looking to export to Africa.
- The job holder will be responsible for the delivery of Chargeable Services delivered across Southern, West and North Africa.
- Chargeable Services (also known as OMIS – the Overseas Market Introduction Service) include the scope of any services required by British Businesses looking to export to Africa. The service can vary from providing market research, introductions to contacts in-market (including visit programmes) and delivering networking receptions and other events.
- The jobholder will be responsible for supporting the delivery of services, as tasked by the Chargeable Services Manager.
- They will be required to deliver within the team as much as possible, collaborating with colleagues across the DIT Africa when necessary.
- Take full ownership of queries allocated by the Head of Chargeable Services, ensuring prompt contact with the company and timely agreement of a workplan.
- Services delivered to a high standard and on time, with open lines of communication maintained with the company at all times.
- Once the service is delivered, the job holder will also be required to follow-up with the company to ensure, (i) they’re happy with the service delivered, (ii) to enquire as to their progress in market (with a view to recording Export Wins), (iii) to maintain the relationship with the company and support them expand further into Africa.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide prompt and fact-checked feedback on trade queries allocated by the Chargeable Services Manager.
- Planning and delivering on requests for market research, warmed-up contacts, introductions to local partners (including support for market visits), delivery of events (in liaison with the APEC Team), and any other chargeable services/support required from British Companies doing business in SWaN
- Uploading entries such as significant assists and interactions weekly into the Data Hub.
- Providing administrative support for the section
- Substituting for other staff when on leave
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A degree level qualification
- Fluent written and spoken English
- 1+ years of relevant experience
- Willingness to travel if required
- Great team player, able to build collaborative working relationships across teams
- Good client support skills
- Strong IT skills in Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
- Able to adapt to a quick changing and evolving business environment; working proactively and autonomously
- Ability to work with people at all levels of seniority in an international environment and within a fast paced, results orientated organisation
- Language: English
- Level of language required:Fluent reading and writing
- Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Starting Monthly Salary
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Learning and development opportunities:
- Induction and Civil Service Learning mandatory courses
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: The contract is a 3 month renewable contract (renewable up to 12 months)