Entry-level Child Protection Case Worker at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection Case Worker
Location: Monguno, Borno
Scope of Work
In the end of 2014 and the beginning of 2015, there has been a considerable upsurge (vague) in violence perpetrated by Boko Haram in Borno state, creating and influx of IDPs in within the state. From the beginning of the insurgency, the hosts communities in Borno have been housing a large number of displaced and have now reached absorption capacity limit. The recent arrivals are lacking the most basic services such as access to adequate shelter and simple household items; food; health care; safe drinking water and basic sanitation. In addition, the insecurity that has resulted from past and recent Boko Haram raids, as well as continued threats of others, has presented serious protection concerns for communities in these areas where children and women represent 70% of the IDP population.
Brief Description of the Position’s role within the Project(s):
- The Caseworker will be responsible for providing individual case management as part of the case management project.
- The Caseworker will conduct all steps of the case management process for an assigned number of individual children vulnerable to abuse, exploitation, neglect and violence (especially UASC and CAAFAG) and their families in this process
- To ensure children harmed or at risk of being harmed are identified and receive individual case management support by conducting documentation, assessments, action plans, direct service provision, referrals and follow ups for an assigned case load of children
- To provide support to families in the process of case management, including foster and alternative care
- To directly work with other caseworkers and service providers on management of caseload and referrals
Who this position reports to:
- The Caseworker reports to the Child Protection Officer.
- Provide individual case management for children in Borno location in accordance with all case management steps and related tools and procedures
- Provide ongoing support to families, foster and alternative care systems
- Communicate regularly with CM assistant for updates on achievements and challenges
Grant Monitoring & Reporting:
- Provide input for weekly and staff activity reports
Coordination & Representation:
- Directly communicate effectively with other caseworkers and service providers as part of conducting individual case management
- Regularly attend case management meetings at field level
- Contribute to the development of proposal activities in relation to case management
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Technical Diploma or degree in Social Work, Human Rights, or related degree preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience of implementing child protection programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children and particularly vulnerable children
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well and work in cross-cultural setting.
- Fluency in English and/or (other languages) preferred or required
- The position will work in the Monguno Field Office. The program site in Northern Nigeria. This is security level 3 – orange
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications addressed to the Country Director IRC via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org while Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC field office in Maiduguri Office