Eh/Wash Assistant-Infrastructure (MAI) at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EH/WASH Assistant-Infrastructure (MAI)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Scope Of Work
- The EH Water and Sanitation Assistant will report to the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation and will be primarily responsible for supervising all water and sanitation infrastructure works as directed by the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation.
- The main objective of this position is to support the EH Officer-Water and Sanitation in supervision and direct management of safe water and sanitation provision activities. This will include field supervision of all construction and maintenance of water and sanitation infrastructure.
- Ensure that the water and sanitation activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering beneficiary needs.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other EH teams and sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
- Directly implements the construction of water supply infrastructures including but not limited to drilling of shallow and deep boreholes, installation of hand pumps, installation of solar submersible pumps, construction of elevated water storage tanks, trenching and piping for water supply reticulation systems, construction of well aprons and communal tap stands with appropriate drainage.
- Directly implements the construction and installation of sanitation facilities including but not limited to Communal latrines, house hold latrines, Solid waste pits/bins, Hand washing stations, Drainage, Menstrual Hygiene Management facilities and bathing shelters.
- Identify and train Water Point attendants and Pump Technicians and motorized/solar systems Operators within WASH committees.
- Train and supervise skilled and unskilled daily workers during the installation and maintenance of WATSAN facilities.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Officer (Water and Sanitation) and EH Officer (Hygiene Promotion) on water quantity, location of water sources/communal taps while considering beneficiary proposals and needs.
- If required, supervise water trucking deliveries, water chlorination and water quality monitoring.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on the construction of water and sanitation facilities to EH Officer-Water and Sanitation.
- Provide regular water quality monitoring reports to EH Officer (Water and Sanitation).
- Seek guidance and approval from EH Officer – Water and Sanitation on any changes to approved designs for water supply including water trucking concerns.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials.
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Assist the EH Officer – Water and Sanitation to identify, train and provide daily support to skilled and unskilled workers working in Water and Sanitation initial installations, operation and maintenance activities.
- Supervise skilled and unskilled daily workers
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable work teams to successfully complete their tasks on time and within budget
- Responsible for skilled and unskilled daily workers’ reports, timesheets and work plans.
- Daily volume of water supplied/delivered to location(s) including volumes and times of availability.
- Maintain records of number and location of all water collection points
- Maintain records of water quality monitoring.
- Routine O&M of water distribution system (s) and sanitation facilities including drainage around all water points and sanitation facilities.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Manager and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor for the development of IRC programs.
- B.Sc /High National Diploma in Civil, Water Resources, Building or Mechanical Engineering, Hydrogeology with hand on experience in developing and adopting emergency WASH technologies and designs experience in implementation of water and sanitation projects.
- Competent communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Sound knowledge of English language
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, Excel; Auto CAD or similar
- Knowledge of the Local language-Hausa
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- The position will work in the Maiduguri Field Office. The program site in Northern Nigeria. The security level 3 – orange
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
26th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications addressed to the “Country Director IRC” via: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org
Hand delivered application should be sent only to the IRC field office in Maiduguri