Early Recovery Area Coordinator at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
Early Recovery Area Coordinator – 2 positions
- Job Type Contract Full Time
- Qualification MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 2 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Job ID: 12163
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: Initial duration of 1 year
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Head of UNDP Sub-office in NE Nigeria and direct supervision of the Early Recovery Programme Coordinator, the Early Recovery Area Coordinator is delegated the responsibility for achievement of programme results in his/her assigned geographic area of responsibility.
- Within agreed constraints in the detailed work plan the ER Area Coordinator is fully accountable for the achievement of substantive and/or geographic programme outputs and oversees a Programme Associate (when applicable).
Summary of Key Functions
- Ensures day-to-day management of programme activities in his/her assigned substantive and/or geographic programme outputs;
- Reports to ER Programme Coordinator on the achievement of project outputs, feeds into project/programme reports and into communications results of UNDP Nigeria;
- Ensures that the programme produces the ER results specified in project documents, to the required standard of quality and within specified constraints of time and cost within his/her area; and
- Suggests activities in her / his area for the annual project work plan and contributes to overall ER programme development as well as resource mobilization
Ensures day-to-day management of programme activities in his/her assigned substantive and/or geographic programme outputs:
- Liaises and collaborates with relevant counterparts and target groups in specific locations in the three targeted states
- Details and implements ER programme components and outputs for the benefit of IDPs as well as communities
- Ensures full alignment and complementarity of UNDP’s ER efforts with those of national counterparts, sister UN Agencies and other institutions and individuals in the target areas
- Monitors and supervises the work of contracted parties and individuals for specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Ensures full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations of all ER activities for specific substantive or geographic outputs.
Reports to ER Programme Coordinator on the achievement of project outputs, feeds into project/programme reports and into communications results of UNDP:
- Reports on UNDP’s ER activities, accomplishments and results as per formats, milestones and other requirements for specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Contributes to sub-office reporting towards counterparts and humanitarian clusters for UNDP
- Certifies completion of specific works and services as conducted by contractors as part of specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Produces stories, editorials, audio-visual and other materials in support of UNDP communications efforts furthering ER in the three targeted states.
Ensures that the programme produces the ER results specified in project documents, to the required standard of quality and within specified constraints of time and cost within his/her area:
- Implements and monitors the high quality of UNDP’s programmatic work in specific substantive or geographic outputs
- Works laterally with other UNDP ER Area Coordinators to discuss approaches, learn lessons, exchange experiences and improve UNDP ER programming and operations across board
- Conceives and supports a range of partnerships for the benefit of UNDP’s ER activities with state and local governments, non-traditional leaders and institutions, research and volunteer organizations, UN Agencies and non-governmental actors of all sorts
- Suggests and advances areas for improvement of the UNDP ER programme for further incorporation into further proposals and concepts.
Suggests activities in her / his area for the annual project work plan and contributes to overall ER programme development as well as resource mobilization:
- Contributes to discussion and documentation on lessons learnt and best practices towards furthering the UNDP ER business case;
- Contributes to the conception and drafting of project and programme concepts, proposals and budgets for new and expanded ER programming;
- Advocates UNDP’s achievements and experiences to wider audiences, in the targeted areas and beyond;
- Contributes to resource mobilization efforts of UNDP.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on creation of effective positioning of UNDP as a key actor in early recovery in the NE of Nigeria, thus contributing to the stature and name of UNDP as UN’s global development network.
- In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP early substantive recovery strategies with a view to delivering on-ground UNDP’s early recovery programmes and projects, as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Competencies (Functional Competencies)
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate:
- Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
- Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Media Relations, Journalism, Publishing.
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in both oral and written English.
- Knowledge of local language is an advantage.
Method of Application
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- Applicant information about UNDP rosters
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Interested and qualified? Go to UNDP career website on jobs.partneragencies.net to apply