Drivers at United Nations World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Driver – G2
Requisition #: 70581
Locations: Maiduguri, Borno & Damaturu, Yobe
- This job is found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) and Field Offices (FOs).
- Job holders report to the Administration Officer, Logistics Officer or the designate, and drive light vehicles, trucks, vans, motorcycles or any other type of land transport.
- They may also be assigned to operate speed boats or other types of watercrafts.
- The job may involve basic administrative assistance in the office or stores.
- To provide efficient and safe transportation of authorized personnel and/or commodities.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide transportation of authorized personnel including translation of basic conversations from/to the local language, and/or delivery of various items/commodities following authorized routing and UN safety and security rules and regulations to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorised destinations.
- Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency.
- Responsible that the assigned vehicle is kept clean and in a good condition including all equipment, the maintenance is done on time, vehicle is fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, and any mechanical issues are reported to the supervisor to ensure safe and efficient services.
- Follow established rules and regulations for field deliveries and/or in cases of an accident, and report immediately to the supervisor on any apparent problems, to seek for instructions and facilitate informative decisions on the way forward.
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office related tasks such as filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required including delivery/collection of various items, mailing service and payment of office telephone and other bills to ensure administrative support to clients.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary school education. Formal drivers training with a valid driver’s license/certification to operate assigned vehicle following local rules and regulations.
- Two or more years of work experience as a Driver, preferably in an international organization, UN system or Embassy with a demonstrated safe driving record.
- Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans, trucks and other kinds of motorised vehicles. Experience in defensive driving is desirable.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, local roads/waterways and conditions, and security issues.
- Basic skills to assist in case of emergency, knowledge of first aid basic methods.
- Knowledge and ability to use radio, email, telephone and other applications.
- Ability to assess vehicles for mechanical fitness and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Knowledge of the vehicle loading capacity and other parameters.
- Knowledge of driving/boat operating rules and regulations whichever applicable.
- Knowledge of safety standards and safety equipment (e.g. fire extinguishers, buoyant wearable safety devices, etc.).
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy and tact.
- Fluency (level C) in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please do not contact HR for any follow up as they will contact you if you are shortlisted.
- Only holders of Nigerian Citizenship or holders of valid Nigerian residence/work permits are eligible to apply for this position.
- Applications are to be submitted online and in English only.
- Canvassing of any form is strictly prohibited. Applicants found to be canvassing will automatically be disqualified.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply
Application Deadline 26th November, 2017.