Drivers At United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationSecondary School (SSCE)
- Experience5 years
- LocationAdamawa, Borno, Yobe
- Job FieldTransportation and Driving
Location: Yola, Adamawa Application Link
Damaturu Yobe Application Link
Maiduguri Borno Application Link
Type of Contract:Local
Post Level: GS-2
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial Duration of 1 year
- Under the overall guidance of the State Programme Officer, the Driver provides logistics/transport services to staff and visitors ensuring timely delivery of quality service, manages assigned vehicle effectively with due considerations to cost-effectiveness, passenger safety and MOSS compliance.
- The Driver captures and monitors costs for services rendered and ensures timely cost recovery and cost-effectiveness.
- Promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNFPA Rules and Regulations in delivery of services to clients.
- The Driver works in close collaboration with Operations, Programme, government counterparts and other non-resident UN agencies to ensure timely and consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions
- Implementation of CO Workplan and operational strategies
- Support to travel management processes
- Manages vehicle fleet and transport services and team
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drives office vehicle for the transportation of authorized personnel;
- Delivery and collection of mails, documents and other items;
- Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, checks oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres etc; performs minor repairs and arranges for other repairs and ensures that the vehicle is kept clean, keeping well the maintenance related records;
- Ensures vehicle related documentation for example licenses and insurance policy are acquired and maintained up to date
- Prepares and maintains vehicle related Logs official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing, etc;
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident;
- Reports to the State Programme Officer (SPO) any fault detected in any of the UNFPA vehicles;
- Makes Photocopies of mails and other official documents as may be required in the office or during workshops/seminars;
- Distributes mails as appropriate to all staff within the office and to other parties for example government, NGO offices, UN Agencies, Diplomatic missions, individuals etc involved with UNFPA;
- Maintain records on travel in order to facilitate efficient tracking and monitoring.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol (for Drivers)
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues (for Drivers)
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organizing and Multi-tasking:
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Required Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate should:
- Be a Nigerian national (male or female)
- Good understanding of the local language is added advantage
- Have at least completed Secondary School Education and have a School Leaving Certificate
- Possess valid professional driving license and Trade Test Certificate
- Have the ability to read and write English
- Have a minimum of 5 years professional driving experience with a reputable organization
- Work history of at least 3 years in the UN system or an international organization is desirable.