Drivers at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
DRC is the process of scaling up and emergency program in Nigeria focusing on responding to the huge humanitarian needs and challenges in the North East of Nigeria. Nigeria’s northeast is currently experiencing a significant humanitarian crisis, which has been the result of the ongoing-armed conflict between Boko Haram, the Nigerian military and the Multi-National Task Force in the north-east.
To drive DRC vehicles safely and efficiently in accordance with DTC policy and national safety rules and regulations, responsible for the vehicle to which he/she is assigned and the completion of log books and fuel, records, under the supervision of the Fleet Officer the Driver shall perform the following Responsibilities:
- Job Type Contract Full Time
- Qualification Secondary School (SSCE)
- Experience 3 – 5 years
- Location Yobe
- Job Field Transportation and Driving
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Head Driver with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time
Control of Vehicles
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Supervisors.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects and damage to the vehicle and ensure that he reports them to his supervisor. After consulting a mechanic, the supervisor will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Driver is to ensure DRC visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
All employees should master DRC’s core competencies: Communicating, Taking the lead, Collaborating, Striving for excellence and Demonstrating integrity.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Senior Secondary School Certificate /Ond in Relevant field.
- A full and clean driving license
- Should have 3-5 years’ experience of professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self development
- Flexible & willing to work in a remote setting & to travel to other field locations.
- A certificate in Defensive driving from an established driving school/firm is an added advantage.
- Experience from working in an (I)NGO
- Hold a certificate in automobile mechanics is an added advantage
- Contract length: 3 months with possibility of extension
- Level: SB9 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible
Method of Application
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, where 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
Applications can be dropped at the office located at No. 44 Karewa GRA Opposite Karewa Police Station, Jimeta Yola Adamawa State.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and Location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult: www.drc.dk