Division Manager – Industry and Services at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Division Manager – Industry and Services
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: TBA
- The Vice-Presidency for Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization is central to the Bank’s mission of developing the private sector, improving infrastructure and accelerating industrialization.
- The complex main functions are to:
- Strengthen the enabling environment for private sector [and financial sector] development conducive to inclusive growth and sustainable development,
- Support the development of reliable and sustainable infrastructure, including cities and urban development, and
- Place renewed emphasis on industrial and trade performance in support of structural transformation across Africa.
- The Complex leverages knowledge, co-financing, and partnerships to attract private capital and work with governments on delivering the Bank’s development agenda.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The role of the Bank’s Industrial and Trade Development department is to promote the implementation of the Bank’s 10 Year Strategy and HI 5’s initiatives with special emphasis on the Industrialize Africa strategy.
- The department leads the Bank’s activities in the area of industrial policies, ICT, trade and investment climate, and private sector investments in industry and services.
- The Division in charge of Non-Sovereign Operations in Industry and Services is responsible for originating, executing, supervision and monitoring operations in Industry and Services sectors that do not have an explicit sovereign guarantee from the beneficiary country.
The Division Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Develop lending and equity investments sectoral strategies and project pipeline to support the implementation of the AfDB’s Industrialize Africa strategy;
- Coordinate Project preparation and appraisal to be submitted for Board approval;
- Coordinate Financial close of approved projects;
- Coordinate Monitoring and Supervision of projects during the implementation phase;
- Manage team’s staffing and resources in the division.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Director Industrial and Trade Development (PITD), the Division Manager will perform the following:
- Plan and coordinate business development activities to promote the Bank’s non-sovereign operations, identify potential financing opportunities, and eventually build a strong pipeline of lending and equity investment projects pipeline to support the implementation of the AfDB’s Industrialize Africa strategy;
- Appoint and supervise project teams;
- Plan and coordinate the preparation of project documents (such as preliminary evaluation, project concept notes or project appraisal reports) for submission to the appropriate internal review committees;
- Plan and coordinate due diligence missions for projects cleared for appraisal;
- Plan and coordinate the submission of project appraisal reports to the Board of Directors for approval including consultation with Executive Directors, the preparation of Q&A notes, and attendance at the Board meetings;
- Plan and coordinate negotiations with clients and the preparation of final project legal documentation for signature;
- Plan and coordinate the monitoring and supervision of projects during the implementation phase;
- Oversee the Bank’s pipeline of projects, their execution and monitoring in the industry and services sectors;
- Build and manage relationships with anchor (global/regional/national) industry players (corporates, project developers), public and private financial institutions, institutional investors and related industry associations;
- Manage the preparation and utilization of the budget for the division;
- Supervise staff performance in the division ;
- Oversee the recruitment of new staff for the division
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree (or its university equivalent) in Business Administration, Finance, Banking, or any other relevant discipline;
- Have a minimum of eight (08) years of extensive and in-depth project finance transactional experience in the Bank or a similar institution and/or investment or commercial banking, with a focus on industries & services transactions;
- Extensive knowledge and proven experience in financial lending instruments and approaches, including familiarity with debt and equity lending;
- A broad transactional experience in key industrial sectors such as manufacturing, mining, oil and gas, agribusiness, pharmaceuticals etc;
- Strong knowledge of socio-economic, industrial development and business environment issues in African countries
- Diploma in Industrial Engineering and/or Policy design would be a plus
- Exposure to technical assistance and SME financing would be advantageous
- Ability to comprehensively understands industrial projects structures and critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions;
- Skills in leading for identifying, structuring and executing debt and equity investments in industrial projects;
- Ability to lead in creating an environment for sharing and communicating knowledge within the division, department, complex, regional hubs and externally.
- Ability to proactively engage with internal and external parties to develop and communicate knowledge and methods
- Having Private sector experience would be considered as an asset.
- Operational effectiveness
- Innovation and creativity
- Team working and relationship
- Client Orientation
- Excellent spoken and written English or French languages, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; Knowledge of SAP is advantageous.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online